The New Batman Movie

Anyone seen it yet? Just caught it at the iMax (It's no North Star, lik) and... yeah, it's alright. Overrated, but Ledger is good as the Joker. Yawned a few times towards the end.. it does kinda drag. IMDB says it's the number #1 film of all time at the moment. Needless to say, that's a load of crap.

Number 1 in terms of box office, but I've not seen anything on audience satisfaction. The few folk I know who've seen it enjoyed it, but couldn't remember specifics when questioned. Not the mark of a great movie IMHO or perhaps my pals are just suffering from short term memory issues.

Most claim Ledger stole the show, and from a personal perspective I must agree. Batman was a supporting character, I felt that the Joker had the lead. Very reminiscient of the first Batman movie - Jack Nicholson certainly stole the show too. Perhjaps it is the character of the Joker?

By no means a bad movie, just a little long and not full on in my opinion.

I can't help wondering though if it has reached such dizzy heights so quickly because of Heath Ledger's untimely death rather than because it is a kick-ass film. I've got a copy of Empire magazine with the Dark Knight special before his death and while they were looking forward to the movies release, it didn't seem like it was going to be the event of the enormity it has become. Alternatively, maybe it is kick-ass and not quite to my taste. Each to their own I guess.

My nephews enjoyed it, and I suppose I did too. I didn't feel like I'd wasted my admission like I have felt in some films. As I said before, Ledger stole the show with his performance, but it wasn't hard to stand out in my opinion.

Saw it last night and was absolutely blown away.

It's a shame some are saying Heath Ledger's performance is being talked up because of his death; in my opinion he's worthy of all the praise. He is incredible in this film, and must be the front-runner for the "Best Supporting" Oscar at the moment. (Of course there are a lot of films/performances still to come before awards season.)

With regards to the "lead character" (or lack of one) - it's a classic ensemble cast. Every actor plays their role to perfection - Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal - and especially Gary Oldman.

It's a dark, dark film, and perhaps won't be to everyone's tastes - it's no "Spider-Man" in how it handles the superhero. Death and brutal violence is everywhere, but it's done in such a way that you rarely (if ever) see blood. Through Gotham, a city falling apart, the film explores the post-9/11 world and our response to terrorism, with no "black and white" distinction between right and wrong. It's a lot to take in during one viewing, and I'll certainly be watching it again (hopefully through in Glasgow in IMAX).

Go see The Dark Knight.

Yeah, there are spoilers here, so don't bother reading further if you don't want to spoil it for yourselves. If you do read further then I'm completely not to blame...

Anyway. I was very impressed with Heath Ledger's performance, the screening I went to split the film in 2 with an intermission, and at the halfway point I think everyone was in agreement that he was good, but vastly overhyped. I didn't gather any opinion at the end, but he really did come into his own in the second part of the film.

As for the film itself, it dragged horribly at the end. It should have ended when the Joker was arrested, and having a final shot of Dent in his Two-Face persona would have set up the next film perfectly. Personally, I found it too difficult to adjust to looking upon Dent as a bad guy (although I knew he was always going to turn out the bad guy) having spent the previous 2 hours looking at him as the good guy. The last 30 minutes almost felt stitched on and it really pissed me off somewhat given that I really enjoyed the first 2 hours of the film.