Fly Fishing For Pollock etc

michael_balmain

Ahoy there!

During my holidays I'm hoping to do a spot o fishing. (all depending on if i can get some new backing and suitable flies) If no i'll tie me own very quickly!

Anyway...

Im stuck for transport so will be fishing in the toon.

Due to transport problems i'm going to focus my attention from out at the dump to the knab and around the sletts etc.

Does any one know of any decent sites?

I'll hopefully have a decent sinking line by then.

Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Mackerel theoretically should be several months away but there are already shoals of small mackerel off Burra and Scalloway, among the isles. May be the same off the east side, haven't heard.

Times depend on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. If you are trying for pilticks then just trolling along pretty much any stretch of coast may find you a shoal. You'd have more chance dropping a line anywhere around a skerry or 'baa' though, if there are any in the area where you are fishing. The tides affect their positioning and feeding. It's both complicated and simple at the same time. Other species are more complicated, but bottom fishing is a general answer.

If you are new to sea fishing, as it comes across, remember to let someone know when you leave, where you'll be, and when you expect to be back. I've been in and out of boats on my own since I was old enough to haul a punt down the beach and I still do, even if it is just a note on a pad or a message on the answering machine, just in case. :wink:

If you are new to sea fishing, as it comes across, remember to let someone know when you leave, where you'll be, and when you expect to be back. I've been in and out of boats on my own since I was old enough to haul a punt down the beach and I still do, even if it is just a note on a pad or a message on the answering machine, just in case. :wink:

The coastguard have a voluntary safety identification scheme where you can log details of your boat. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/emergencyresponse/mcga-searchandrescue/mcga-hmcgsar-sarsystem/mcga-hmcg-cg66.htm

Hi MB,

When you say pontoon boat, do you mean one of these?

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/rasmie/PontoonBoat.jpg

This would be great on most of the lochs around Shetland but I'd be very wary taking to the sea with it. Pollack tend to be found around rocky headlands which by their nature are exposed and often very tidal. It would take an awful lot of weather and tide watching before I'd venture out on my own in one of them.

Hmmm, no, on second thoughts, I wouldn't go anywhere I'd expect to find pollack in a pontoon boat. The lochs are hoachin wi troots an I'd stick to working my way round all the peerie isles I canna reach wading.

Cheers for the info folks.

The coastguard would certainly be informed if I'm heading out on the boat.

Thats the very one :)

Infact I thought it was mine but then noticed the grass was a bit different ;)

For sea use (which will be very limited) it'll primarily be in the voes and around a certain bit near Sullom Voe as apart from weisdale the flow is pretty lax.

Do not fear Skyumpi. I won't be going to any exposed locations with the pontoon. I am thankful for this life and the only time I allow that to be threatened by the sea is when bodyboarding.

My primary focus is and shall remain for brown trouts so probably 98% of my time will be spent in the lochs. Looking forward to getting out into deeper water, around the skerries etc an even casting into the shore.

If however the mackarel do come in then i'll happily go around the Sletts with it.

Lifejacket plus wetsuit so I'd be pretty well covered.

I'm looking forward to targeting the pollack. The only location I know of is Lunna Ness an having never been there I'm no sure what she'l be like for fly fishing. No doubt over this year I'll learn a peerie bit.

I'll be trialling the pontoon on Clickimin either on Saturday night or Sunday.

Cheers again for the info folks. It's greatly appreciated

Michael

Guest Anonymous

As somebody who has been around boats a lot, I normally scoff at anything which doesn't look like a real boat.

But, that thing looks like a helluva lot of fun, and ideal for loch fishing, or sheltered voes.

Is it expensive? and how easy is it to transport?

Hi there.

She's rated for class two rivers so can take a bit of chop but keep her away from any surf.

It was only 250 delivered off ebay.

I was going to get on from a shop in scotland but then found this beaut on ebay.

Its had decent reviews with most of the folk using them on rivers.

Aye she's certainly windy the day. Wind+pontoon boats aint a good mix so obviously won't be out in anything like this. I'd imagine I'd take off!

Sunday looks to be calm, shall learn to row that day ;)

Skyumpi... I shall respond by shouting... 'Fish On!'

You wouldnt have much trouble identifying me onyway...

Not seen any other angler fishing with a line tray, chest pack and that has dready hair ;)

BTW... Line Trays are blooming excellent things

Guest Anonymous

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it Michael.

And to echo all others, be careful.

My main interest in something like this is that where I live now in Norway there are loads of great lochs for trout fishing, and it could be an alternative to paying boat hire fees, if it's easy to transport.

I'm too old to consider these float ring thingies or anything like that, but this intrigues me.

:D

BTW... Line Trays are blooming excellent things

I've thought about trying one of them as I'm forever tripping over my line. It's no problem when you're out on the water but when working along a rocky or heathery shore it would be dead handy.

Can be a godsend while wading as well especially when using a intermediate/sinking line.

Even on a windy day the floater gets shifted a good bit..

I bought a linekurv.dk one as I was feeling a bit bling but they can be made really cheaply.

If you're ever about or wish to borrow it you're more than welcome to nab it.

Michael

Forgot to ad:

Transportation is very simple with it all fitting into the boot of my Primera.

Recon it'll take maybe ten mins to put together.

This model in question is quite heavy but I can still lift it above my head and carry it along. It also has a wheel assembly for pulling it along the land.

There are many other models out there.

The arrow backpacker at www.pontoonboats.co.uk certainly is transportable :)

In Me Garden

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/mabster-b/SNC01066.jpg

In The Boot

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/mabster-b/SNC01067.jpg