Fair Isle - it's a popular place!

peeriebryan

Fair do's, you are totally correct.

Refering back to wickerman, the fishing is awesome, and you do get sharks, though not all the time and not annually seasonal. There have been years where they were alledgedly snapping at the sides of boats line-catching smaller fish. How cool would that be! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Humph! Njugle clearly would need to experience a proper Fair Isle time. It rocks, and anyone who disagrees is from Foula. I caught some good ollicks this summer. It is a lovely lovely place, a million miles from the insipid bitchy town that is Lerrrrrrrrrrick.

Woo hoo go team Fair Isle!

Guest Anonymous

It can only support a certain number of people, but the vetting of hopeful applicants is mainly to make sure they would manage in such a place, and also to make sure the Isle has people who really care about its future etc

Humph! Njugle clearly would need to experience a proper Fair Isle time. It rocks, and anyone who disagrees is from Foula.

Eh? I'm pro-Fair Isle. It's a great place in every aspect.

Foula is pretty cool too though. Unless you want any work done :P Only joking Foula peeps! It is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

I caught some good ollicks this summer. It is a lovely lovely place, a million miles from the insipid bitchy town that is Lerrrrrrrrrrick.

Woo hoo go team Fair Isle!

Please do not start me about Lerwick, in fact maybe we should start an anti-lerwick thread :wink:

• 1 year later...

Surely the weight off all these cruise boat visitors landing on our isle en-mass cannot do much to slow down our sinking problem ! Begods dont they know the scones & bannocks will get drenched & salty bannocks just dont taste all that good at all.

Right so, typical day on fair isle ehh.. & emplyment.

Ok, so us, there is me, him & 4 chidlers (2 at the anderson & 2 at the nursary)

Emplyment.. Him is builder & will be working with northmen, the isle's own building firm & also doing work outwith fair isle for the NTS, him has also recently joined the ferry crew & him will also be joining the fire crew, him will also shortly be learning how to make the shetland straw backed chairs & taking over from the current maker on fair isle who is retiring.

Me.. Me looks after the croft - 27 sheep (+ 20 on the hill grazing) 1 lazy slob of a ram, 4 pigs, 20 hens , 1 roo, to many chicks & hatching eggs in the incubator to count on my fingers & I dont think mal would let me borrow his fingers in case I stick him in a pinnie and make him wash dishes again....

Me also does the baking for the when we put on tea's in the hall for visiting cruise boats (shared with neighbour, she has the edge on the toffee shortbread) and also organise & serve said tea's.

Knit for Fair Isle crafts when i have time.

Just opened out guest house, booked up well over the summer & also offer workshops on spinning, knitting, fiber preperation, quilting, felting (dry & wet) & crazy quilting.

I make hand spun & hand knit kilt socks to order

Im the floating body on the museum rota.

The other half of Fair Isle Soaps.

Never a dull moment in this hoose, in fact, never a moment at all now that the sheep have decided to be dern inconvenient and decided they want shearing else they'll turn the fields white & woolly.

Angela

Tis a bone of contention between my folks & I too. When i were younger, ohh how I wanted to learn, but the family finances just wouldnt allow it.

But to make up for it.. I do play the Bodhran.

Anyhoo, as of today, to my nice list of *what i must do every day* you can now add a lot more paperwork & record keeping under H.A.C.C.P policies, we have just became Fair Isle's first registered producer & packer of Fresh free range eggs.

Angela

• 10 months later...