James Joyce's 'Ulysses'

I haven't actually read the whole of Ulysses but what I have read is fantastic! I plan to read the rest very soon.

I think it's a shame that a lot of people give it a try and get a bit 'scunnered'...quite rapidly! I have to admit I probably wouldn't have "done weel an persevered" if it wasn't on my course. I had the help of insightful lectures and knowledgeable tutors, otherwise I think I would have been rather lost. To anybody that's keen I would suggest using a guide such as 'The New Bloomsday Book' by Harry Blamires. A guide such as this really helps to enable you to scratch under the surface....and there's a good deal of scratching to do!

As for the end of the book, Penelope,it's one of my favourite parts so far. Hard core stream of consciousness. Read it out loud. Also, it's quite amusing earlier on when Mr Bloom describes himself having a poop! Joyce's attention to the everyday details and habits of humanity really delights me...

So den, I think I've made my point!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Used to love the cartoon.Excellent theme tune.Never saw the end o'it though.It's a book as weel?I thought the cartoon was copyrighted.I predict a lawsuit.

HA HA . I mind dat... Ulysseeeeyeeeeeysss ... Ulysseeeeyeeeeeysss ... same thing? You can tell I've no read the book!

The only wan dat I can really mind is he got stuck on this planet where he had to shove these round boulders doon a hole .. they jumbled arounds this machine in the ground and popped out again an dhe had to roll them down the hole again ad infinitum ..... great bit 'o drama whin you were a bairn!!

He obviously got oot 'o heain tae du dat mind you!! ... Good man!

Guest Anonymous
The only wan dat I can really mind is he got stuck on this planet where he had to shove these round boulders doon a hole .. they jumbled arounds this machine in the ground and popped out again an dhe had to roll them down the hole again ad infinitum ..... great bit 'o drama whin you were a bairn!!

My cousin bought me the entire Ulysses 31 Boxset for Christmas a few years back. It's actually really bad, but although a few episodes are really sinister sinister.

There's one about these curious "seeds" that you take that make you happy and help you forget, so that the Gods of Olympus can control you. Which was nice.

http://www.dvdworld.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/70-79/93774.JPG

My cousin bought me the entire Ulysses 31 Boxset for Christmas a few years back. It's actually really bad, but although a few episodes are really sinister sinister.

There's one about these curious "seeds" that you take that make you happy and help you forget, so that the Gods of Olympus can control you. Which was nice.

http://www.dvdworld.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/70-79/93774.JPG

Damn, forgot to log in AGAIN! Now I can't edit my post for errors. doh! :oops:

Oooh, yin looks good. And Funny.

Slightly off topic, but dus anybody keen where I can get Flash Gordon dvd's?

I am a bit of a Flash fiend. I am going to get a full size Flash Gordon tatoo doon my back so if you look at me one way, I'll be "The Mighty PoolHaddock" or "PoolHaddock Man", but if you look at me while I'm back-on, I'll be Flash Gordon.

Then, I'm gonna do a peerie bit of D.I.Y. home surgery to make my knees and elbows bend both ways..... and while I'm at it I might stick a universal joint in my ankles.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is fantastic: "Hoyty-toyty" James Joyce's Ulysses to 'how i'm going to make myself into a flash gordon action figure' in 13 posts. Marvellous.:D

Hey Poolhaddock, if someone saw you side-on would you be Poolgordon or Flashhaddock?