Router question

McFly

I'm using a :oops: BT Router with Mac and PC, which i was expecting to be 2xethernet, but with a typical bit of misdirection, it arrives with 1xethernet+1xUSB, but it all works a treat, even after the secondary box for the free calls arrived.(the mac is in it via ethernet, the pc in the router via USB the free calls box is ethernet-ed to the router, could it be any more complicated?!)

So, my point, it works with a BT modem, so it must be a safe bet with any other one that claims to be cross platform.

I think BigMouth is your man here.......

Indeed there will be no problem. I would strongly suggest avoiding USB if you can. A lot of these routers tell you to plug your machine in via USB and configure the router that way. There is really no point unless (Like Njugle) you have no other option. The ethernet route is the best bet and you can configure it by pointing your browser (or telnet client) to the IP address of the router. Normally 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 by default.

I've set up a fair few and it really depends what you are after. They all do much the same at the end of the day. The only thing I would recommend is that you update the firmware as soon as you get it as most companies regularly release new firmware to sort out bugs/niggles etc...

3Com and Linksys are a couple that come to mind. The best thing to do would be to look around for special offers/good prices then post the model numbers back here.

Come on you bunch of hopeless geeks.

Tell me what to spend my hard-earned on. :)

I got the woman in my life to buy a Linksys WAG54G. Its a wireless router, has a built in 4 port ethernet switch. so everything you need for wireless connectivity to the net. Or up to 4 wired machines. We use 1 mac, 2 pcs and a win laptop. You could daisy chain another switch to it if you wanted loads of computers, but I prefer wireless.

The firmware needs flashing though as it has a tendency to drop its connection, but otherwise it is good. get the version 2 model from eBay for about £60 - rrp is £90.

My son has one too and connects pcs, psp and ipaq through his.

Guest Anonymous

I wouldn't bother with Linksys for wireless. Had to many problems with a few of them dropping signal etc.

Avoid DLink as well. there are issues with current models 'flooding' time servers and choking traffic.

3Com are pretty reliable although I haven't installed to many.

My first choice is Netgear. Never had any trouble with their equipment. Well priced as well.

Other lesser(?) brands seem to be OK but I don't have much experience of them. Just came across a few that seem to work well.

Best place to buy.. Amazon. The price you see is the price you pay and, in my experience, is cheaper than nearly every other alternative. You can also opt for free delivery if you're feeling really 'cheap'. Wouldn't recommend it due to 'bad' experiences with courier handling etc. Pay the £6 extra for RM Special Delivery.

I personally wouldn't buy wireless network equipment buy Ebay. To many idiots bidding up way past 'new' price (on Amazon) for equipment that may not be reliable. Ask yourself why they are selling it in the first place.

Price Example.

Watched a canon Lide60 scanner (used) sell on Ebay for a total of £59. Bought mine from Amazon the same day. £40.90 +£6 Special Delivery. (Free delivey was available if required)

Before anyone jumps on me, I'be bought and sold quite a few things on Ebay and I never cease to wonder at the prices people will pay for 'old' technology.

I have also been ripped off twice (got the money back) by cowboys who try it on. If you have to use Ebay, use Paypal with your Credit Card. By far the most secure way of protecting yourself.

Guest yaduk

I've been using a linksys wap54g coupled with a linksys befsr41 now for some time with no problems at all.

Router has been restarted twice I think with fluctuations in the power throwing it a wobbly. They've both been switched on now constantly for near a year!

The combination wrt54gs wireless router would propbably be a good bet?!