Digital Switchover

soljey

I'm just going by my ever failing memory here but I think that Bressay was to be ready by 6 am and the satellite transmitters may be later on in the day.

Also I think it might just be the BBC channels available on freeview from the satelitte transmitters until the final part of the switchover on the 19th.

If anybody knows better, feel free to correct me.

Edit to add. Just read the switchover leaflet and it seems my memory is not so bad! :)

Bressay should be transmitting the full range of freeview stations now and relay stations should be ready by 'late afternoon' transmitting BBC channels only. Full range of stations on 19th May.

There's a lot of controvasy over going digital.. It's seen as nothing but a money spinning exercise. Millions of radios become useless, everyone forced to dig deep into pockets to buy new equipment. Where have I heard this before?

The other nail in the HF radio coffin is the gizmos being marketed to route data around the house via the mains electricity wiring. They cause enough interference to HF frequencies to make radio communications virtually useless. In major disasters, communications fail..no phones, no nothing! You can kiss goodbye any thoughts of emergency communications such as those provided by volunteers in recent earthquakes, tsunamis and other major disasters. What happens if that vulcano really blows in a few years time? There's no backup.

Not impressed.

I can get Freeview with an indoor aerial but I am close to and within line of sight of the Bressay transmitter. Loft aerials will also get freeview but I think you do need to be in an area of reasonable reception. Quite possible that some older aerials will not work so worth getting someone to check that.