Joining a cruise ship in Lerwick

daveh

I have always wanted to go to Iceland and I noticed, far too late, that one of the cruise ships calling in at Lerwick last week was then sailing to Iceland two days later. I guess that one would have to fly back to, say Glasgow, on the way back

Has anyone here booked to join a cruise at Lerwick and would you get a bargain, by doing so, as you would be using a cabin that would otherwise be empty for that leg of the cruise? I guess that you would only seek to make the short booking on the ship at Lerwick once the ship had left the original port at the start of the cruise thus it would be a last minute type of booking.

I have waffled a bit but hope you can follow the question I am asking!

(***Mod Edit - Moved to Travel***)

Generally you can only board a cruise ship at the embarkation port as this is where they complete all the relevant documentation. Passengers should also stay onboard until the debark port. This was the very strict rules for the ships I worked on and were enforced by the cruise lines, and immigration departments of the countries we visited. That being said, it may be worth trying by calling up a few companies - but remember these are not ferries and as such (if they allow you to do this) they will more than likely charge you the full fare and you will be required to pay gratuitousness and any port charges. You will also have to dress appropriately for dinner etc.

Dressing smartly for dinner wouldn't be a problem but paying a full fare, to make use of an otherwise empty cabin would, though. I would think it a bit starnge that, in these harsh economic times, a ship opeartor would actually turm awaycash for someone to be on board, say, two nights.

I guess that, for those two nights, I would be using the ship as a ferry but would also be using the facilities as would any other passenger. For that, I would expect to pay; jut not full price!

Thanks for the response. I guess that, on the "if you don't ask, you don't get" basis, it is worth asking a cruise liner admin department once the ship is on its way.

Cruises are meant to have only 2 destinations - starting and final. All the ports inbetween are called at only for sightseeing's sake. So people are supposed to take the whole journey and not leave in the middle of the road. Let's say there's a cruise London-Lerwick-Iceland-Norway-London and you want to take only one leg (Lerwick-Iceland). This would mean that the cruise line must find passengers for London-Lerwick and Iceland-Norway-London legs, so that your cabine pay off. Of course they won't bother about that and are only interested in selling the full trip.

P.S. Having said that, Iceland is well worth visiting ;)

So, if the ship has empty cabins when it sets off from London, they wouldn't be willing to accept some dosh for use of a cabin for one leg of the trip. They would prefer it to stay empty for the whole trip?

What a strange marketing decision that would be.

I worked in a cruise agency for a few months long ago in the past and as I remember from what I dealt with, most of cruise ships are 100% booked and that long in advance. People are encouraged to book their cruises months in advance. But even in case there's a non-used cabin my feeling is that big cruise companies would be rather reluctant to sell it only for part of its price, because they don't operate as a ferry service and your single ticket gives them absolutely nothing in comparison with their total revenue, so they wouldn't even move the little finger of their left hand unless you pay the full price.

There might be smaller companies, which combine the traits of cruise/ferry lines, who would allow embarcation of new passangers in the ports of call, but they normally operate within the waters of one country/area. The itineraries of overseas cruises are organised to let people see various curiosities, and not move them from one place to another, for what ferries and planes are much more convenient.

i very much doubt you would be willing to pay for even the 2 day trip when you see what services they provide onboard which is why cruises are so expensive. plus as was said before i dont think many cruises operate at less than 100% capacity its just not worthwhile, not like flights or ferrys

Thanks, guys.

I appreciate the responses and I take on board what has been said.

It is too late for this summer, for me, but I will have a go at doing this next summer and report back. I will see what ships will call into Lerwick next season and, once they have set off, see what deal they may or may not do for two people going to Faeroe, Iceland or even Greenland. We are retired so I could holiday at very short notice so nothing to lose here by asking.

I was having a think about this and I have another suggestion - cargo ships. There are companies that you can find online that sell passage on cargo vessels. I know not many stop here on their way to Iceland, but there are a few every year... that might be worth a look.

Icelanders are now talking about launching a ferry from South Iceland to Aberdeen or Newcastle. No decision has been taken yet, but watch this space.

i very much doubt you would be willing to pay for even the 2 day trip when you see what services they provide onboard which is why cruises are so expensive.

In fact they are rather cheap regarding the eventual price of the provided services elsewhere. To visit 5 countries within 12 days will be much more cheaper on a cruise ship than by any other means.

I was having a think about this and I have another suggestion - cargo ships. There are companies that you can find online that sell passage on cargo vessels. I know not many stop here on their way to Iceland, but there are a few every year... that might be worth a look.

I have no idea as to what to google to get such info.

Any suggestions?

What is the accommodation like on board these boats?

Thanks

there is an advestiser in the back of one of the shipping magazines i think ships monthly for passages on cargo ships and its not cheap i looked into it a few years ago.

yes i aggre a cruise is actually not bad value for money what i meant was that a 2 day trip would considerably more pricey than say 2 days on northlink due to extra services provided

i always fancied travelling on a cargo ship (even tho i work at sea) ever since i saw michal palin do it.

There's yet another opportunity, a bit cheaper than cruises... hire a fishing boat, go to the Faroe Islands for as much as J285 and then take a ferry to Iceland (the ferry, Norrøna, sails from Tórshavn to East Iceland on weekly basis) ;)

CASH-strapped footie fans have hired a FISHING TRAWLER to get to a match.

The 12 Manchester City supporters were desperate to see their heroes in a UEFA Cup tie in the Faroe Islands tomorrow night.

But they feared the air fares would be too high, so they clubbed together and chartered the 72ft boat.

They drove from Manchester to Aberdeen and took an overnight ferry to Lerwick on the Shetland Isles.

From there they set sail on the Three Sisters for the Faroe Islands – which can take up to 26 hours, depending how rough the sea is.

The boat – which cost the fans Ј285 each – left the UK yesterday and will get to Torshavn tomorrow – just in time to see City and their new manager Mark Hughes take on EB/Streymur.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1427378.ece