Guest posiedon
shetlandpeat

I know it can be used to make an imitation Earl Grey

I believe it's actually used in the production of Earl Grey,

I've grown Bergamot but only as an ornamental plant.

I looked into that, it is the fruiting tree that they use, the juice of the fruit is used in some Caribbean medicine, I think the oil from the leaves is the part that goes in the tea.

The small herb like plant also has medicinal properties, mainly to do with ladies cycles. I believe it is similar to mint to grow, was it easy to grow/propagate if you don't mind me asking?

Guest posiedon

This is the bergamot I grew (not the fruiting tree/bush)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/images/large_db_pics/large/monarda_beauty_of_cobham2.jpg

It was easy but I do have poly tunnels.

Bergamot (Monarda didyma) is a North American native woodland herb, a member of the Lamiaceae plant family; it bears no resemblance or similarity to that of Bergamot (Citrus bergamia),a small fruit tree, predominately found in Italy, from which Bergamot essential oil is extracted. A hardy, herbaceous perennial, Bergamot (Monarda didyma) is now a popular cultivation in many gardens.

The genus Latin name of Bergamot, Monarda, was given in honor of the botanist, Dr Nicholas Monardes, of Seville, Spain; in 1569, Dr Monardes wrote a herbal on the flowers of America and named the plant so, as the aroma was a reminder of the Italian Bergamot fruit (Citrus bergamia). Therefore, it is often recommended to use the scientific plant classification system to avoid such confusion between plants.

Identification of the Herb Bergamot

Bergamot is also known as Bee Balm, as its flowers attract an array of bees and butterflies; however, bees can not reach the nectar unless other insects have already made holes. Bergamot now flowers in a variety of colors including white, purple, pink and scarlet; purple-blue flowers are known as Blue Stocking, pink flowers are known as Croftway Pink. Even when dried, the flowers of Bergamot retain their true color and can be used in potpourri and teas.

Read more at Suite101: The Herb Bergamot: A Plant Profile of Bergamot, Monarda didyma, or Bee Balm http://www.suite101.com/content/the-herb-bergamot-a74337#ixzz1EmjfX4pz

So you are needing Bergamot Herb (Bee Balm) not Citrus Bergamia from which they get the Bergamot essential oil.

ebay has some seeds http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monarda-didyma--%22Panorama-Mix%22--Bee-Balm---40%20-seeds-_W0QQitemZ150285003756QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=212829459354&rvr_id=212829459354&cguid=a709f61b1280a0e205148fd4ff600738

No definately not herb Bergamot

"Earl Grey tea is a tea blend with a distinctive flavour and aroma derived from the addition of oil extracted from the rind of the bergamot orange, a fragrant citrus fruit."

"Bergamot grows on small trees which blossom during the winter. The distinctive aroma of the bergamot is most commonly known for its use in Earl Grey tea."

If any one is off to Italy...please et me know!!

• 2 weeks later...

I will look forward to your taste report.

We have just taken delivery of some Silver Needle Tea from China, it is the top of the teas.

I have also got some blooming teas, very pretty but we found that a tiny piece of lemon, lime or orange brightens them further.

I was speaking to a town councilor here and he adds the herb to his tea, and sez it is good. But that just may be 2nd best me thinks. His beef was the cost.

Will go now for the oil....