ARI Maternity Island accom - advice / info/ top tips please

lutrawest

Hi there,

We're having to go down south to have our baby and will be staying at the island accomm in the ARI maternity.

We may have to stay a while and we'd appreciate any advice and top tips on how to make it a comfy stay.

Also wondering if folk could answer the following Qs (below). Many thanks in advance for your help. :)

Do any of the supermarkets deliver shopping to the flat? If so what address/postcode do you give?

Do the rooms have a tv with a dvd player?

What do you do about laundry?

What buses go from maternity into the city centre?

Can you get take aways delivered to the flats?

Is there a landline telephone number in the flat?

Any essentials that we should bring with us?

Any taxi companies you recommend who have infant car seats or can deal easily with fitting ours?

Any top tips for dealing with the return journey from the hospital to the airport to shetland?

THANK YOU

:)

It is a few years since we were at Aberdeen maternity (and there wasn't any room left in the accommodation which was very annoying as there were people from the mainland in the same ward who were using it - I don't know if it's pre-bookable nowadays?). Anyway, from what I remember (if it's any help), there is a takeaway and small shop right across the road from the hospital. We just used our own car seat for the return journey and we were responsible for fitting it ourselves in the taxi. There are regular buses to and from Union St/Bridge St - poss every 20 mins.

Hi there, I spent 4 weeks there in 2007 having my son, I believe it's maybe been updated since then but here's my advice :)

Ask for the postcode at reception, most places do deliver their, although there are regular buses from right outside maternity which go into the town and I'm sure there's an asda or something a couple of minutes away at Berryden? I think it's the number 5 bus. When I was there there was no tv and dvd players, I took my laptop and watched movies on that, but as I say that was in 2007 and it's probably been updated by now. There is a laundry room in the accommodation, I'd advise to get your own washing powder and softner, or you just have to make do with what is there. The telephone I'd recommend asking once you're there as you'll be taken there by someone and you can ask them questions. I found some essentials to take were my own towels (my bump was too big for the little hospital towels to go around! haha) and just any other little home comforts you'd miss. You can get take away delivered and there is an amazing chinese just over the road called the ruby and a dominoes pizza not far away which I know delivers to the sick kids so would to maternity too. I had no problem with taxi companies, if you say when you phone them that you have a newborn and carseat they'll be happy to oblige. I usually use comcabs in Aberdeen, my son has a wheelchair and they're the best I've used. Tips for the journey home (I travelled home with my son at 2 weeks old then had to fly to aberdeen every monday until he was 3 months old).... plenty milk, dummies and blankets and a magazine for you to read, and try not to stress out :)

Good Luck! :D

• 1 month later...