Not Dancing To our Tune

Guest perrie-lipper

Guest perrie-lipper

I was reading Robbie Leith’s letter regarding a few unpleasant incidents encountered while being invited by hosts for some light entertainment the traditional way, hence resulting in a “few poor individuals whose existence is so miserableâ€, phoning the police over the summer period in Shetland. I am totally amazed this actually happened, it is beyond belief, that by having a tune in an ordinarily manner could offend anyone enough to resort to reporting them for breach of the peace. Music is a great part of Shetland’s culture and heritage, and a wide range of people have key roles in presenting and representing culture including artists, performers, poets, writers, teachers, historians, curators and librarians. The participation in cultural activity can improve the quality of life of individuals and communities, promote social inclusion, raise self esteem and confidence and widen horizons. Shetland’s unique cultural treasures and traditions should be conserved, valued and promoted, both at home (with friends) and for public entertainment. The Scottish Executives Cultural Strategy gives encouragement to conserve and reinvigorate Scotland’s cultural heritage and encourage and value individual artists and creators. The experience and history of all Shetland Citizens are the key ingredients which make our culture and creative industry one of the most significant part of Scotland’s economy, the creative industry alone is estimated to be worth around £5 billion to the Scottish economy annually and also employs 50,000 people in the cultural sector. Is this the beginning of the end, to thousands of nights, enjoyed by thousands of people, from musicians who give their time freely for all of the above mentioned?

Whilst reading the letter I did think to myself that the calling of the police was a little harsh, however, the letter didn't (and couldn't) really give a balanced viewpoint as it was looking from the "We've been hard done by" point of view.

It would be interesting to hear from any of the people who actually phoned the police to see what made them do so.

Guest perrie-lipper

Fair point, however I did not read the item that way, and over the years have indeed hosted a few traditional evenings myself, the last thing anyone would wish is to upset people and be a nuisance or cause a noise that disrupts others sleep.

But I somehow feel this article points out the stupidity in which the world is coming to today and the new breed of people encountered. I'm glad I had fantastic neighbours and everyone enjoyed a good shin dig and dram the traditional way.

As I have pointed out music also brings a lot of positively and other benefits.

Might also be interesting to hear what the police said when they were called. Has to be within their power to decide that there is no offence being comitted

and to go on their merrie way.

If the police really want to do something about noise perhaps a good way to start would be a clamp down on those drivers with high power car stereos that make far more noise than their cars.....and has to be dangerous as the driver will not be able to hear any warning sounds that as a driver he needs to hear.

For a balanced discussion, where might anyone find the aforementioned letter?

For instance, i'm asking myself: If the noise maker was of Carribean origin and culture and playing loud reggae, or of 'club' culture and blaring Drum and Bass, or 'anarchistic' culture and playing loud punk music, would 'culture' have the same emphasis in this issue?

Loud noise is loud noise to the complainant, we all have our own tastes and limits of endurance;

so where can we see the letter for a better perspective?

:wink:

Thanks. :)

I dont know haven't read the article but I do know that the wardens have the power to report noise coming from a house without the householders knowledge, not like when you do get the police at the door and they ask you to turn the music down.

Instead you get a letter from Environmental Heatlh a week later when you really are not wanting to remember the party saying that there has been a complaint.

For instance, i'm asking myself: If the noise maker was of Carribean origin and culture and playing loud reggae, or of 'club' culture and blaring Drum and Bass, or 'anarchistic' culture and playing loud punk music, would 'culture' have the same emphasis in this issue?

Loud noise is loud noise to the complainant, we all have our own tastes and limits of endurance;

Dunno.

The Shetland Times doesn't publish "Readers Views" online. And I can't be arsed typing it out. Maybe someone else will.

My informants tell me dat some o "da singing" wis a peerie bit lood and hit wis mair o a country an western roar in atween twartree peerie tunes.

Ony wye if your catched signing Okie fae Miskokie or whitever its caad you should be arrested just for bad music taste as it is a right wing song dat criticised american students and draft dogers during da Vietnam war. i.e.

we dinna laek long hair an students smokin dope an protesting against oor wonderful government an we salute " old glory " doon at da courthouse ----keech !

Guest perrie-lipper

I think the fact you may be suggesting that the music was loud may highlight the point you made about reading the original article in the Shetland times dated 21/07/2006 Readers views section. As Tomblands has said, "The Shetland Times doesn't publish "Readers Views" online", but you may be able to retrieve a paper from last week. The article implied that there was no amplification with the guitar and the two hosts where in there 80's so this rules out a few presumptions above mentioned "Caribbean origin and culture and playing loud reggae, or of 'club' culture and blaring Drum and Bass, or 'anarchistic' culture and playing loud punk music", I can only express my opinion into traditional music on a low played volume, and as source has it wardens did not enter the equation here, however getting back to the point "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen", sometimes events like this should be kept as simple as possible, as indeed the people who create the problem must surely be.

Ok folks, this was a letter in the Shetland times dated Friday 21st July 2006 and headed "Not dancing to our tune"

"It is indeed a sad day when the ways of Shetland have changed so much that now we can't be seen to enjoy ourselves even in a small way for fear of recrimination.

I am 54 years old and was brought up where parties were gatherings of a few friends with a fiddle and a guitar and with the help of a few tins of beer we made our own entertainment.

Two weeks ago, I was invited along with two dear friends of mine, both 80 years old,to a party where the kind hosts were having a barbecue due to the fine weather.

They asked me to get the guitar with, I might add, no amplification andto sing a couple of old songs. No problem. The result was that we were reported for breach of the peace, the boys in blue being summoned.

Unfortunate perhaps, but this past weekend me and my two friends were invited to another party at a different house. This time we got out the guitar and a mandolin, again with no amplification, and while a few folk sat around and yarned we played a few old tunes.

Again we have been reported to the police. Not a wild party with heavy music. Just a few old friends, the youngest about 50, enjoying some good old-fashioned music.

I am sorry for our kind hosts who only wanted a few friends along for a tune but I also feel somewhat sorry for the poor individuals whose existence is so miserable that they can't allow folk to enjoy themselves for a couple of hours once in a blue moon."

The letter continues with the adapted words to the Merle Haggard tune and is signed Robbie Leith.

So in the interests of balanced discussion you have the letter available for those who did not see the paper.

I think that is hellish how can people justify getting the police involed when it is a harmless sing song its not like they had full scale amps on the go playing heavy heavy metal or a set of decks playing banging techno tunes.

What is the problem of going over to the so called noisy area and asking the people nicely to keep it down a bit!!! It is a quite acceptable thing to do as long as you are polite!!

And if they are being a bit crap you smash their face in with the nearest object (of course you dont only joking!!!) :wink: :)

Guest perrie-lipper
I think that is hellish how can people justify getting the police involed when it is a harmless sing song its not like they had full scale amps on the go playing heavy heavy metal or a set of decks playing banging techno tunes.

What is the problem of going over to the so called noisy area and asking the people nicely to keep it down a bit!!! It is a quite acceptable thing to do as long as you are polite!!

And if they are being a bit crap you smash their face in with the nearest object (of course you dont only joking!!!) :wink: :)

Totally Agree :D