Bush's revised plan for Iraq

I don't know either way - send in more troops and there are more to shoot at and more to be shot by. Take the troops out and the insurgents shoot anybody in their way until they install their own leader.

I guess Bush is just reacting to what his advisers are telling him, that he's got his own guys into a pickle but to pull out completely will look like he didn't really want to sort out the running of the country in the first place and that he was just after the oil - which he was.

It's a no win situation at the moment. Hopefully, since this is the path he was choosen, the extra troops will tighten up security and allow the Iraqi government to get itself together. It might just move the insurgency problems to a later date though.

• 2 months later...

Since the beginning of the "surge" on 1 Feb "coalition" casualties have risen to 3.16 per day - the highest in the 4 years since the invasion was "won".

But this month they have risen dramatically to an average of 5.11 per day - a bit worrying for the coaliton as we are 11 weeks into the surge that was supposed to put an end to the insurgency.

Check out http://icasualties.org/oif/ if yer interested in the crunched numbers.

What would you be doing if WE had been invaded ? Remember Churchill and "We shall fight them on the beaches...etc"

That's what I would expect to happen here and that's just what's going on over there. They want their country back and the invaders out.

What would you be doing if WE had been invaded ? Remember Churchill and "We shall fight them on the beaches...etc"

That's what I would expect to happen here and that's just what's going on over there. They want their country back and the invaders out.

So the Iraqis want our troops to withdraw, a majority of the British public would like our troops withdrawn, and presumably the troops themselves would rather be at home with their families rather than being shot at. There does seem to be an obvious course of action, doesn't there ?

Not if there's a shed load of oil, control of the middle east and America's continuation as the world's number one economic and warfighting power at stake......

That, my friend, is unfortunately the key.

We are already seeing them eyeing up Iran on the premise of a new "war on insurgents". Who will be next? I would suspect the majority of the Middle East - with an eye then on the choke points of pipe distribution for both oil and gas in that region and possibly further afield.

Why the hell are they still in Afghanistan .. and or gave a hoot in the first place?! There's your first oil and gas route and choke point from Central Asia to the Arabian Sea!

The next fifty years are going to see America struggling to keep the dollar a liquid currency and their already bloated and dangerously inbalanced economy afloat. The only way they can do that it to increase their consumption of oil --> the exact thing their economy has been built on the last century - "cheap" oil.

Having read a lot into Osama and his past, that was one of his goals - to push the price of oil higher as $200 per barrel to then stand back and watch the American economy fail and go into a deep recession.

[edit] removed this part 'cos I was speaking stoness! [/edit]

And so the resource wars have begun.

Saddam was playing with fire when he decided not to sell oil through OPEC, instead to sell his oil in Euro's - the then fledgling currency. The world hadn't really given a hoot how many Kurd's he'd managed to gas up until around that point --> then his invasion in Kuwait spelled the death knoll.

Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990: the Euro wasn't established until 1992.

Absolutely - August 2, 1990 - <-- just looked that up. For some reason I was thinking it was 1992. doh! :oops: Bit of a Freudian slip there as I'm reading about the Falklands War too at the moment - '82 ?! Maybe muddled there? Edit'd above post too!

The rest makes sense though.

I agree: I was just pointing out the historical error. Sorry if I came across as a bit abrupt.

I'm a bit pissed at the mo', so this might be a load of crap, but...

I was under the impression that the reason for the overthrow of Saddam was that S had signed contracts with the Germans, French and Russians to rebuild Iraq's oil industry once the sanctions were lifted (as they would have been for humanitarian reasons). S would then sell his oil for Euro's, as Trout said. This would have shot down the dollar as the only reason the $ retains it's value is because everyone has to buy dollars to buy oil.

By getting rid of S, the US could rewrite the contracts to suit themselves and gain control of the Iraqi oil market. It always amused me (in a sick sort of way) that the Yanks left Iraq's museums, hospitals and most of the government to burn, but they did secure the Oil ministry. :evil: