UML

Fjool

Anyone know something of this subject?

I'm currently reading a Grady Booch book, have downloaded StarUML and found these articles by IBM: UML basics: An introduction to the Unified Modeling Language

I guess I covered most of the concepts at Uni; wasn't called UML, but the principles seem very familiar. Anyone have experience or interest in any of this?

I think UML is a very handy thing when you're working with a team of folk, especially when you're collaborating with non-programmers and programmers working on different parts of a system

It's a good way to get an overall picture of how a system works, how software objects 'talk' to each other, a starting point for producing user guides/ documentation and it uses a standardised language to ensure compatibility

Personally, I'd have a hard time visualising how reasonably complex software systems work without sketching out a Use Case Diagram first, and I certainly wouldn't be able to describe a system to a programmer without UML

"Rational Rose" is the only UML software I've used, and scraped the surface. Apparently, if you're good at using UML, Rational Rose can spit out Visual Basic code that acts as a starting point for the actual programming of the system

There's a reasonably good UML podcast here - www.uml7.com

For those not in the know, not that you'll have read this far....!

The general principal is that UML displays diagrammatically how 'actors' (for example: customers, supply companies, shop workers, managers, and credit card companies in the case of a retail system, or librarians, borrowers etc in the case of a library) get 'value' from a system (i.e. how they interact with the system) and how software 'objects' within the system interact

There are different standard diagrams used to display different functions within the system (use case diagrams, class diagrams, sequence diagrams, activity diagrams etc)