Norway ferry link on the horizon?

Tom

This article from Shetland News discusses the possibility of a Norwegian shipping company coming through Shetland for transit of cargo to Central Europe, and which the Development Trust is already investing £50,000.

This seems to me to be yet another Santaland style project... Why would a company ship through Shetland for onward transit to Central Europe?? That's just bizarre. And suggestions of tapping into the Faroese and Islandic fisheries markets via the Noronna seem far fetched with the Noronna coming only fortnightly.

Guest Anonymous

This seems to me to be yet another Santaland style project... Why would a company ship through Shetland for onward transit to Central Europe?? That's just bizarre. And suggestions of tapping into the Faroese and Islandic fisheries markets via the Noronna seem far fetched with the Noronna coming only fortnightly.

I think you missed the point a bit. The intention is to ship through a mainland UK port, which makes perfect sense, given the shortage of truck drivers in Norway, and the logistical problems of road haulage through Norway, and the Baltic to central Europe.

The only way that Shetland comes into the equation is that it would only mean a 1 hour, steaming time, detour, and that would give the possibility of a link to Faroe and Iceland via the Noronna. As it would be a twice weekly service the chances of timing it to fit the Norrona sailings is a possibility.

For once I don't mind the SIC helping towards the feasibility study, and if something comes from it, good and well. Just so long as they don't start throwing Millions at it..

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...