what next for Unst?

woody

Mr Strang is a property developer. As soon as he has developed his asset into a making a profit it will be sold.

Simple business really - if he can fill Saxavord with tenants, he then has a secure income stream on the asset. Once the income stream is high enough he will sell the asset with sitting tenants, trouser the profit and move on to the next opportunity.

No love for the location only cash! A successful businessman cannot be blinded by keeping Unst alive. Sad - but true!

It sounds like most places really, its very sad indeed I think. Even here on Anglesey, we get people come in from the outside, buy up all the homes, then rent them out, usually to tourists as a second holiday home, it kills chances for locals to get a step onto the home owning ladder.

It sounds like most places really, its very sad indeed I think. Even here on Anglesey, we get people come in from the outside, buy up all the homes, then rent them out, usually to tourists as a second holiday home, it kills chances for locals to get a step onto the home owning ladder.

We have had this argument elsewhere I think.

The locals do not have to sell their houses to incomers, they can sell them for less to islanders, but they wont because they expect the islanders that they sell them to, to sell them to incomers and trouser the profit. Either that or they are greedy/trying to maximise their profit. The problem is that people want it every way around!!

I've always thought that a bridge between Unst and Yell would be so much more helpful than one between Lerwick and Bressay.

Then the two islands could benefit from each others' infrastructure and keep one another going.

That or a tram between Lerwick and Scalloway - random, but could help Lerwick's housing shortage!