Possible Gremlin??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Most likely I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but I've noticed today that when I've got Shetlink open in a tab, my browser runs very slow. When I shut the Shetlink tab everything goes back to normal.

Could there be something new on the Shetlink site (today) which is affecting my browser??

Using Firefox or Flock, both of which are better than feeling like being shafted by microsoft :wink:

Guest posiedon

I haven't noticed any problems with speed, earlier today I did keep losing my connection and had to unplug the livebox for a couple of minutes, then plug it back in again to regain connection. :?

Guest Anonymous

It's most likely nothing, and the problem doesn't exist if I don't keep the Shetlink Tab open too long, opening a new Shetlink Tab regularly eliminates the problem. I had wondered if it was some of the silly local Norskie adverts which I get, but eliminated that thought because Oddie had noticed a performance reduction, and she doesn't get the adverts on her pooter.

Guest Anonymous

I think the problem has disappeared now, I've had this browser tab open for over an hour now with no problems.

And yes Malachy, I've noticed Shetland News being a bit 'steam driven' lately. That was always a bad site when I was silly enough to use IE7,, total crash situation.

As for Shetland News, I've got a fairly slow cable connection, therefore I must be patient and only open one link at a time.

That's funny, I have found recently if I open one "Shetland News" page, then return to Shetlink and open successive SN pages, the first one does take ages, but after that the rest open instantly.

(That's using firefox and browsing with tabs.)

edit: I also have an adblocker running in firefox. (tho' it doesn't block the ads in Shetland News)

I have noticed a bit of a memory leak regarding Firefox, Shetlink and some other sites.

The problem seems to come down to the Flash plugin and the subsequent use of Flash advertisements. It is as if the Flash plugin that Firefox uses isn't clearing the memory after each ad loads. It then loads another ad, using more memory. It doesn't seem to be a problem all of the time, only now and again. Installing the latest Flash plugin does seem to help for a while.

Regarding the Shetland News website - it is a totally different kettle of fish. A Java applet that loads on their website causes Firefox to throw a wobbly, I have emailed them twice in the past but they either haven't had the time or have elected not to respond. Saying that, I haven't noticed it so much recently, perhaps something has changed.

I'm using Opera 9.25 and find that when I click on Shetland News, I can hear the computer churning for a bit and get the hourglass before the page loads. Changing threads on Shetlink regularly causes Opera to crash.

Opera is said to be fully standards compliant, unlike some other browsers !

Regarding the Shetland News website - it is a totally different kettle of fish. A Java applet that loads on their website causes Firefox to throw a wobbly, I have emailed them twice in the past but they either haven't had the time or have elected not to respond. Saying that, I haven't noticed it so much recently, perhaps something has changed.

Either SN have changed something about their Java within the last approx week, or my old puter has gut rot. Used to be their Java driven bits and pieces slowed the initial loading down to a snail's pace, annoying..... The Java stuff in the header bar stopped working for me no more than a week ago, all I get now is a static message to "Please enable Java to see this advert", which is just fine by me, I have no wish to see the ad, and the page now loads at a normal speed.

I haven't intentionally disabled anything on the puter, and I've had no issues on any other site, so I'm blaming them for the change until and unless all hell breaks loose elsewhere. :lol: