Generation Kill

I've just finished watching this and it's bloody brilliant!

Essentially, it's a road movie in seven hour long parts following the 1st US Marine recon battalion during the Iraq war from the start line to the "liberation" of Baghdad.

It's based on the book written by the Rolling Stone journalist who was embedded with them.

Really first class tv from HBO and made by the guys who did "The Wire"

It comes across as ultra-realistic, totally believable. If there is some "stick it to the rag'ead's", it's believable "stick it to the rag'ead's".

The first episode is more to do with training and preparation so it's worth watching a few at one time to get going. If you appreciate unsentimental warts'n' all telly, I think you'll love it.

Sticking with vérité depictions of war, Generation Kill (Sun, 10pm, FX) is shaping up to be a weekly combination of excitement and fury: an unvarnished portrait of US marines in the early days of the Iraq war scripted by Ed Burns and David Simon, fearsomely intelligent creators of The Wire. Unvarnished because not only do they spend more time sitting in their Humvees griping about supplies than engaging the enemy, but because they're not painted as heroes, but rather foul-mouthed and authentic human beings in a super-male environment. Episode One saw them opening letters from schoolkids and joking about which ones they'd like to f***: The Green Berets it ain't. A friend of mine can't watch it because she finds them repugnant, but I've developed a begrudging respect for the unrelenting gallows humour. Anyway, as befits a show sharing a bloodline to The Wire, it's slow-paced, talky, full of alienating jargon, and quite, quite brilliant.

It comes across as ultra-realistic, totally believable. If there is some "stick it to the rag'ead's", it's believable "stick it to the rag'ead's".

The first episode is more to do with training and preparation so it's worth watching a few at one time to get going. If you appreciate unsentimental warts'n' all telly, I think you'll love it.

OK, I'm in :D Will check it out ASAP