The Mighty Boosh

Jono

yeah you tube has tons of stuff on the boosh.

I tend to just watch clips though it think its a bit over the top how you can watch a full episode + its illegal and i never do anything illegal (without my balaclava anyway. ha ha)

I've read through their "terms of use" http://www.youtube.com/t/terms and the legalities are very dubious. The "4.User Submission" & "5.Intellectual Property Rights" sections seem to encourage the submission of illegal material (i.e. material to which a user doesn't own the copyright or suitable liscense) whilst acting as a legal disclaimer for YouTube.

In essence, the website owners are covering themselves legally whilst turning a blind eye to their website being used as a vehicle for copyright infringement. It may be hard to prosecute the website owners since they do not host many of the files, they only host the database of links. Whilst this itself is not illegal, it could be proven to facilitate copyright infringement, which is a can of worms (the legal president for facilitation of copyright infringement was the attempt by record companies to ban double-deck cassette recorders 25 years ago. This failed because it cannot be proven that a technology is developed with the express purpose of breaching copyright. The modern day equivalent is the attempts to ban file sharing networks)

If the material is hosted on the YouTube servers, they can be prosecuted

As far as a viewer of such a website goes, they are very unlikely to be prosecuted, although technically they are breaking copyright law (ignorance of copyright is not considered to be a mitigating factor). Again, it is the same principal as file sharing networks; it is generally the people who make copyright material available (upload) rather than the downloaders who are prosecuted. If the material is streamed to a computer, rather than downloaded as a file, the chances of prosecution are virtually nil (although the user is still technically breaking the law)

yeah thats what I thinking.

So You Tube's backs are covered because they dont host the files and the chances of anyone getting done for uploading some videos is very slim and even slimmer for someone streaming them.

But if you can watch the Mighty Boosh for free on the internet then you dont need to buy the dvd, unless you want the quality and to support them(like me). Therefore they arent getting the money from dvd sales from some people and this could make it look like there is not enough interest in the show, the BBC could possibly stop making it.

But the few videos on the net are probably helping to build up even more interest in it so when they do a live show people will pay money to go to that.

I dunno - i'd rather have the dvd even if the quality was the same.

I met them in a bar a few weeks back following their show. Didn't really know much about them, but they seemed nice enough. the dude with the long hair is really short and actually quite odd looking in real life.

• 1 month later...

I was in a band in late 89 early 90s with the one who ent got long hair and who was considerably taller than me, though I don't know if that makes him actually tall. Calls himself Julian Barrett for the the showbiz thang cos real name Julian Pettifer, which might've caused confusion and embarrassment in the hard hitting journalism/zonked-out-dadda-dadaist comedy interface nexus space place pub.

He was a very flashy guitar player in the Allen Holdsworth vein. 'Course, I didn't really think that, funny as he was, he was as funny as he thought he was. Now I realise he's funnier than I thought he was. Makes me sick! AND he always got the pick of our notably low-grade groupie following, whereas I never even managed a lucky dip!

I was playing bass at the time - a bit obsessed with but not very competent in slapping and popping FUNK. Often wondered if his frequent references to Funk Bass and Parliament/Funkadelic were taking the piss out of me.

I'm a broken man now, basically.

Anyone out there see and enjoy Nathan Barley or did you find it, as I did, a bit too metropolitan?

Well, that's today's name dropping shouted from the rooftops. Who we doin' tomorrow? Oh yeah, Desmond Dekker . . .

Wish I hadn't stopped smokin.