The trouble with Shetland Arts

williar

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like a classic case of getting your facts right before you choose to spout off William.

Being so officially 'off the mark' when you make comments such as these will serve no purpose and indeed will only serve to totally discredit any opinions you do have or remarks you wish to make in this respect.

I refer not only to your comments re Brian P's musical talents, (which are very well documented and agreed across these islands and indeed beyond) but also your persception of what Mareel is actually (or at worst hopefully) going to deliver as discussed with me last week. I also have to take exception regarding your initial views of the Shetland music scene in general.

Permit me to say that, although everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think more local research on your part is required here before you put pen to paper again.

All observations and ideas in this respect are of course massively welcome, if reasonable well informed and perhaps even researched. However Shetland's cultural community has been here a long time and lots of things have been done and achieved that you might not be aware of, while indeed some things have also been tried and failed - even if they seemed like good ideas at the time. We have not been totally culturally or musically sterile while waiting for the arrival of someone to put us all on the right track so to speak.

I also totally disagree that initiatives such as Pro-Tools training has no merit and I think your use of the word 'hacks' is nothing short of derogatory to those involved in this worthwhile development initiaitve. Digital technology training is universally seen as an important part of music 'education' at all levels.

As we dicussed at our meeting (and as Bryan has already pointed out to you) there's no magic formula or 'initiation' ceremony necessary to get access to the wonderful local music community we have in Shetland - but I'm not sure if ill-informed tirades of this kind are the way to effectively go about it. If you are indeed as good as you say you are then positive things will happen very quickly for you here in that respect I can assure you.

44 years playing the guitar (or any instrument for that matter) is indeed an impressive amount of time - but that is no GUARANTEE of quality in anyone's eyes I'm afraid (apart from your own perhaps). I represent quite a few good (indeed internationally acclaimed) artists but still spend my life sending out biogs, demo CD's, MP3 tracks, press cuttings / quotes, video evidence, web-links etc etc to promoters on their behalf to back up my (and their) claims about how wonderful they are. Sadly no-one (to date at least) has booked ANY of them PURELY either by word of mouth or because they may have played the fiddle for X number of years. And as regards promoters falling at your feet simply cause YOU believe you have a good track record - well that would be a new one on me too I'm afraid!!!

Meanwhile if you have indeed been so long involved in the international music industry you wont need me to tell you that musicians generally 'bad-mouthing' festival or concert promoters in public (especially ones in small communities) is not perhaps the best way to go about getting yourself gigs or gaining their respect.

I may only have been a music agent for four years now but this is not a tactic I have employed to date to secure gigs for the artists I represent. I suspect I would have a very short working life in that respect if I did. However I am also an event promoter and had you adopted the above approach with me as your target I can assure you you would wait a long time for a phone call from me for a booking. Sorry to be so blunt.

And finally if you seek to rant against non-musician Music Development Officers then perhaps I should be your target not Bryan P. It's not for me to judge if I was ultimately successful in that role or not, but I genuinely wish I had had only 10% of his musical skills to back up anything I did do in that particular context.

Permit me to say William I think you eating a good slice of humble pie would no go amiss here!!!

Oh and one other point William......

Many of the festival / concert promoters, agents, managers, record label owners, sound engineers etc etc who I happen to know in the music industry are not actually musicians themselves either. Being one does not, in my opinion at least, constitute a pre-requisit for '3rd party employment' in this business - although many might consider it a bonus.

What they are to a man (or woman) are people who know good / entertaining music when they hear it (technically brilliant or otherwise) and think that their audiences might appreciate a similar experience.

That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it :wink: