Skateboarding

Ally

lets get this straight they had a skate park but they did not use it!

If that is so then why on earth should they get a new one. Could they not have spent any money raised to improve what they had. If its true they failed to use what they had then it proves that public cash should not be spent on it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets get this straight ...

Your pronouncements suggest to me that you are not particularly well informed on the facts and history of this matter. I think it would be better if you found out more before declaring so absolutely what is currently right.

then it proves that public cash should not be spent on it.

I think not. The Gremista attempt was valiant, and those who facilitated it should be commended, but it was a far cry from being an attractive or viable skatepark. Had it been functionally good, the location might not have mattered. Similarly, had it been in a convenient and attractive location, the functionality might not have mattered. Since both functionality and location were poor, it never really had a chance.

lets get this straight ...

Your pronouncements suggest to me that you are not particularly well informed on the facts and history of this matter. I think it would be better if you found out more before declaring so absolutely what is currently right.

[

I was asking if that statement was true. I don't care what the quality of it was they had a site they should have improved what they had. The council can not keep dumping money on things that have been tried and failed before.

Yes it would be nice if they could have a nice new skate park but if they are allowed it then every other minority sport group will want the same treatment. I like archery and I'm sure that the archery club would like a nice purpose built centre. the kids are into ponies the would love a nice council funded indoor arena.

The money is just not there its really that simple. keep spending it on these schemes and other much stupider ideas and the basic services that we need will be cut.

Was the Gremista site "secure" in that if money was raised to spend on improving it would whoever was responsible for the site have been sure that six months down the line it would not have been sold for some other use?. My memory says no but I confess I am not sure about it.

The ramp at the old pipe yard cannot be described as a skate park because it was only one ramp which was not designed very well. Only one person could use it at a time so it was no use if a large group of skaters went as you would have to wait until whoever was on the ramp had finished. Also if it had rained a puddle would form and in was unskateable because it was too slippy.

I am a founding member of the original Shetland Skate group which was formed around 12 or 13 years ago. I no longer skate but i would definately take it up again if a well designed park is built.

I am happy that they are getting a skate park to go and skate on. My concern is that it has taken so many years for it to come to fruition. Good job skating isnt some fad that nobody wants to do anymore by the time they get the park built.

I'm thinking i will have to go campaign for some kind of park for when my peerie bairn grows up, now what will be the sport of choice then. I may go petition the council for a hoverboard park. maybe get it built soon after they are invented. :?: