Skateboarding

Ally

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just been riding on my bmx this weekend and i noticed a building behind bolts with the windows boarded up and i was thinking that it would be a suitable place for a indoor skate park. I went around to the other side of the building and noticed posty vans outside the building and i was wondering if the building its self is used for anything. :roll:

With the value of land in Lerwick I can't see there being much chance on that site.

Most recent success on similar lines would be the riding club I suppose, which shows it could be done as a private club, but also that it'd likely be out of town and take a fair bit of user time and money to get going.

Getting the Clickamin skatepark done and heavily used would be the first step, then there might be some chance of further support, once the need could be proven....

for it to work it would need to be in town somewhere, remember the "halfpipe" and "BMX track" opposite the power station? very rarely used and still just in town.

For it to work in Shetland it would need to be indoors....imho, and big enough so it's rideable by as many disiplines as possible too like skate/blades, BMX, MTB and ATB would be good but I really can't see that happening...too much like sense.

for it to work it would need to be in town somewhere, remember the "halfpipe" and "BMX track" opposite the power station? very rarely used and still just in town.

There were many reasons why the ill-thought out half pipe failed. Distance was one of the least important reasons.

The public outdoor skate park might just about get done, but if you're looking at something indoor I think the only chance is to find an existing building that is cheap/free like an agricultural shed and run it as a private club, with your own money.

Yup, not in town, yup hard to do for teenagers, yup other things get more public support, but it'd be the only way I think something might get done - likelihood of an SIC funded indoor skatepark in town? Nope.

I understand some of the reasons for not using the halfpipe, but it'll keep coming back as an example of things not getting used. Would have been better to bite the bullet and pack it full of people while it was there and then show why other stuff was needed :-(