Went for a walk on monday... places I wanted to get to were impossible due to the fencing to keep the sheep where they are supposed to be.

Anyway I wondering why there are three lines of wire stretched between the posts, with the top one barbed wire? I mean I can see why the wire is there, being a cost effective why to (try to) keep the sheep in but why barbed wire?

Surely if the sheep are going jump, they would just jump and not think "whooaaabaaa I'd baaaatter not jump that in case I get by fleece caught up".

:)

A three line fence is only for cattle, hence the top barb to dicourage them reaching out over the top to eat whatever is beyond, and in time flattening the fence.

You need a six line, preferably seven line, with lower three or four gaps no more than 4 or 4.5 inches wide to be 100% sure of stopping sheep. Especially Shetland sheep will force themselves through between the wires if the gaps are wider or the lines not kept tight.

I think the answer to your question is the government grant system that stipulates the type of fencing required for the farming system on the croft/farm applying for the grant.

If the walk you wish to take is popular & regularly used , you should talk to Johnathan Duncan , SIC Access Officer, 744864, & he can talk to the landowner and arrange stiles etc