The other "Shetland Crofthouse Museum".

Ghostrider

So as not to confuse anyone, the title refers to the recently completed work on a strey ruhfed hoos and offees beeldins in Burra, an featured in this story

This is just a personal impression and viewpoint, which I'm sure many will disagree with, but the end result as can be seen here, strikes me as a mis-matched hotchpotch of neither one thing or the other.

I'm all for preserving meaningful and informative links to our past, but I do wonder what is likely to be achieved here, apart from total confusion and misinformation in the eyes of those who view it, without the benefit of having known houses of this style being lived in as they were intended. To be blunt, while lighting and heating is obviously required, could this not have been achieved in some way other than very obvious modern spotlights hung from the couples, and an equally modern storage heater it da bak waw. Not fogretting the (admittedly attractive looking in an of itself) varnished?? pine floor, which against the quite well preserved walls, looks decidedly kitsch. To me the vision of this picture is in the league of restoring a 1920's vintage car, and in the process adding "go faster" stripes, alloys, and a plastic spoiler. What exactly was the remit and MO of those who were behind guiding this building from retirement/redundancy to it's present form?

Any thoughts?

I get your point Ghostrider but i don't think it was ever intended to be a museum or replica, it is housing:

an exhibition telling the story of the rebuilding work and the history of Easthouse

More of an interpretive centre than a museum. They could conceivably box in that heater and make the lights a bit more discreet though as you say.

Guest Anonymous

I would hope that the outside has been restored to look more original.

I wonder though, how many folk on this site have ever visited the "Crofthouse Museum"?. I've always thought that people are very poor 'tourists' in their own area. I can think of dozens of Shetland attractions that I have never seen. Maybe when I retire......

I wonder though, how many folk on this site have ever visited the "Crofthouse Museum"?.

Yep been there! Admittedly while doing the tourist bit with visiting friends.

It's funny how we sometimes require someen else visiting to actually get around and do the tourist bit in our own backyard, truth be told, i probably widna have been there since childhood otherwise.