Hamburg window ... Lerwick Town Hall

islandhopper

My original post obviously got lost over the crash ... never mind... ;-)

My question simply was:

Are there any records left in Shetland about the question, why the Shetlanders have just asked the Senade of Hamburg to make any donation for the new Lerwick Town Hall?

From the Hamburg point of view it looks like a 'conspirative action' at the time of the ending Hanseatic glory ...

Are there any notes over there ... ???

thx

Islandhopper

• 1 month later...
islandhopper - ther is a main public archive that holds records going back to the 12th century, they may have some information on this, i'll see if i can contact them or something :wink:

Did you find out anything?

Just out of interest, where is the archives just now?

thx

Not out of interest!

I did some work in between. What I'm looking for are some information to cover the Shetland view to the following story:

http://www.shetlopedia.com/index.php/Lerwick_Town_Hall

especially the following questions:

Why was Hamburg invited?

Were other German (hanseatic) cities invited?

What did the Lerwick folk expect?

How were the technical information (size of the window etc.) communicated?

islandhopper - ther is a main public archive that holds records going back to the 12th century, they may have some information on this, i'll see if i can contact them or something :wink:

Did you find out anything?

Just out of interest, where is the archives just now?

Our wonderful civil servants didn't even bother to reply to my email :x There was me thinking that they were there to provide a link to info like that.

The archives were, and i assume still are, in the building across thew road from Islesburgh Community Centre behind the old wooden school hut. There are i think three full time staff there, or certainly two anyway. They may be more helpful to a stopper-by than an email i suppose. :wink:

Njugle wrote

Our wonderful civil servants didn't even bother to reply to my email. There was me thinking that they were there to provide a link to info like that.

The archives were, and i assume still are, in the building across thew road from Islesburgh Community Centre behind the old wooden school hut. There are i think three full time staff there, or certainly two anyway. They may be more helpful to a stopper-by than an email i suppose.

As I understand things the archives are being moved to the new museum and will not be available until the museum opens. Meanwhile the Shetland room at the new library might have some info.

• 2 weeks later...

I mind being told that at the time the Town Hall was being built, the Lerwick Town Council was pretty broke, and were begging donations from all over the place. You have to admire and give them huge credit for their achievement though, it is a handsome building on a commanding site.

I mind being told that at the time the Town Hall was being built, the Lerwick Town Council was pretty broke, and were begging donations from all over the place. You have to admire and give them huge credit for their achievement though, it is a handsome building on a commanding site.

Right. But such details were unknown over here. What caused some problems was the fact that the City of Hamburg was not asked officially (that's to say from council to council or from mayor to mayor) but by some kind of a "fundrising or building comittee" instead.