Tis the season to be...

I am very much a beginner at gardening. I'm tryin vegetables, to mak a couple of flooer beds, get some trees goin and so on. I have joost learned dat proper planning helps doon da line o time.

With limited time, dark nights and variable weather, what is da "must do" 20min jobs in da garden at dis time o year. Any advice welcome.

Ta muchly!

Guest posiedon

Now is the best time of year to dig in well rotted manure or kelp (kelp can be just spread on the surface)

If your ground is peaty and you're going to grow brassicas rake in some lime, if you're going to grow tatties forget the lime as too much causes tattie scab.

November is a good time to plant Onion sets {peerie onions} and garlic cloves. Mine came out really good the last couple of years- got them from this organic gardening shop online:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/

also- you could consider ordering yourself one of these handy wallcharts - Biodynamics, planting with the phases of the moon:

http://www.lunarorganics.com/moon_gardening_calendar_2008.html?gclid=CLP35IP0z6sCFW1ItAodlw90Vg

Best of luck!

mogling

Biodynamics, planting with the phases of the moon:

Or homeopathic fertilizer :lol:

Farmer Brown has been a biodynamic farmer since 1979, so enjoys the little jokes. The method is very useful for the way that it changes your perspective, but the recommendations can all be taken with a grain of salt, a practice

which seems quite inevitable in Shetland.

Ultimately, there is no getting past the dictum that the best fertiliser is the "footsteps" of the farmer, although many other things can be helpful.

I suppose that the mixing of fine sand into peat soil is commonplace; clay would be could also, but is there any available in Shetland.

You could also ask around friends for cuttings from fuschia bushes and if anyone is splitting up plants now is the time to get them. I have a few pots of plants that you can have - same with fuschia cuttings.

I live in Lerwick so pm me if you wish any plants.

Time to plant bulbs and sow some seeds. This year I have underplanted my autumn/winter bedding plants with bulbs so that the pot has 2 uses - also sown some seeds with bulbs this year too in pots.

• 1 month later...

This would be a good time to go to southerly-facing beaches to collect seaweed to either dig in, or, to put in a barrel with water to fester away & make your own liquid fertiliser. That's all I used on the onions, garlic, leeks & all the outside plants as well as some of the indoor plants that liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all.

I have started gathering some seaweed, but have to admit most of da time I am just armed wi' a cuppa, gazing and pondering. Thanks for da offer o plants too (I've lost my PMs), but I've been quite disorganised and awye sooth. Next year...

I've been looking into yun biodynamic stuff with interest. There's a magazine called Grow Your Own, which has become my new favourite, and it had a mention of biodynamic gardening - I might try similar experiments. Some articles dunna apply tae Shetland, but it is still good to see what people can grow doon sooth.

Hope your gardens dunna suffer wi dis wind x