Crisis talk on Fetlar

voicebox

On Thursday 27th October 2011 at the Fetlar Hall at 8pm there will be a talk given by Peter Dixon on the current crisis we are in, and facing, in the coming years. This will be frank and hard hitting talk, anyone who is interested in the future of living in Fetlar (but the model will apply across the Shetland Islands) should attend.

Peter has been researching the energy and economic crisis for over 12 years working closely with ASPO (Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas) The Post Carbon Institute in America/Canada, Mike Ruppert's Lifeboat Movement, ISIS (Institute of Science in Society) Local Councils in the SouthEast - implementing Gold Currency Scheme etc

This talk is to get folk to think seriously about sustainability not just to scaremonger, we need to work together!

There should be a ferry across to Fetlar from Yell arriving at around 19.35 and there is one later off the island so you shouldn't get stranded!!

Guest CyprusPluto

I'm not a Shetlander by birth, but I do feel the depopulation of the smaller islands is a great shame. Think Unst and the RAF base.

The original poster on this thread is right to voice concerns regarding the Shetland Islands population. As the economy continues to suffer and the population have no choice but to move away for economic reasons, small populations in isolated communities such as this will decline very rapidly and take many years to rebuild. For those left, the lack of opportunities and choice will become more and more evident.

I can't believe this would be the wishes of anyone on the islands or in Scotland in general, but being so small and therefore fragile to long-term economic downturns, it has to be recognised by politicians that the infrastructure of small communities is more expensive per person to maintain.

I better step down now before I fall off my soap box and hurt myself :D

It was raised a few years ago....

Malachy Tallack editorialises on the problems facing the island of Fetlar and concludes that a lack of housing is its chief problem. He suggests that the best way of tackling the crisis is a community housing scheme which prioritises the community’s needs as opposed to the applicants’. He signs off with a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that councillor Laura Baisley could help to make a start by giving up her holiday home on the island.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2008/09/05/fetlar-food-and-fine-music-in-shetland-life

He signs off with a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that councillor Laura Baisley could help to make a start by giving up her holiday home on the island.

Which as you know, she did!

...more housing also means more load on infrastructure such as electricity lines etc... We don't agree with the FDL wanting to build more houses on Fetlar without looking at the other resources on the island or lack of them...

A systems analysis is required - just like we have a fire station here on Fetlar for a possible outbreak of a fire...being aware of the positive and negative aspects of the islands resources is required for all small community islands...

On Thursday 27th October 2011 at the Fetlar Hall at 8pm there will be a talk given by Peter Dixon on the current crisis we are in, and facing, in the coming years. .......................................................................................................

There should be a ferry across to Fetlar from Yell arriving at around 19.35 and there is one later off the island so you shouldn't get stranded!!

He has posted here

LINK

In light of being linked to in this thread and all, I'll note that my organisation is putting on a conference in April next year regarding developing the economies and communities of peripheral islands. Although the conference will be based at Saxa Vord, we'll be taking a field trip out to Fetlar.

Quite a few international experts in small island economics will be attending the conference, as well as interested locals. There are still spaces available for community members to sign up for the conference as a whole, and the final two days of the event will be open to everyone in the community at a very low registration rate.

You can find out about the event here: www.islanddynamics.org/smallislandrecovery.html.