Herrislea Hash Run/Walk

lastpubrunner

On the Shetland Today website, I've seen this event advertised for next Thursday, 27th July :

Herrislea Hash Run/Walk

I've been on the Herrislea House Hotel website, but it doesn't say much about the event other than it is to take place.

Can anyone tell me anything about this event ? Starting time ? Approximate distance to be run ?

I'm considering taking the missus and kids there for a meal, since it has a kiddies play area. Is it really (as it advertises) the ONLY place in Shetland with a kiddies play area ??? If not, which others exist ? Has anyone any experiences of the Herrislea House Hotel ? I notice that it seems to have leanings towards foreign workers - as I'm from England, but have a long Shetland ancestry, do I count ?

(Hint, there could be a gap in the market for a cafe/bar with a kiddies play area in Lerwick - entrepreneurial types take note. Such places usually do very well in England, as stressed parents sit and drink coffee and read newspapers, whilst their kids burn off energy - sounds good to me)

Only three days until I get to Shetland - can't wait !!!

Regards to All

I've got no affiliation to either of the places but Islesburgh Community Centre on King Harald St (Lerwick) has a decent cafe with a secure(ish) not that big play area for toddlers and a separate room next to the eating area with pool, air hockey, that twirly football game, juke box.

I'm too lazy to go back and check, but I think you're the bloke with the three boys 12,10 and 2?

Also the Havly on Charlotte St, just up from Commercial St (again Lerwick) has a bit of a toybox that my 2 yr old likes to rummage among - plus they're very child-tolerant and the waffles are rather good. Also it's somewhere you could sit with 2yo and let the older two wander down to Harry's (not affiliated to there either!!) toy shop if you're of a mind.

I was going to mention on a separate thread, but might as well do it while I'm here that the Trondra Farm would be an excellent plce for your 2yo - feeding poultry etc. Plus you'll be passing it on your way to/from Burra (I think you're the one heading that way - again too lazy to check :wink: )

I'll post this for now and go and check da Shetland Times for your Hash run.

Hi Marooned in Maywick,

Many thanks for such a prompt reply ! Yes, I'm the one with the boys aged 12, 10 & 2.

I'll certainly try out the places that you've mentioned. I've never been to the Islesburgh Community Centre. I know King Harald Street, 'cos my Auntie had a guest house there (or maybe it was St. Olaf Street, which is very close by).

I have been to the Havly, but I can't say I noticed the kiddies facilities (I wasn't with the children at the time).

The Trondra Farm is a great suggestion !!! I've never been, but I think that it is on the right as the road leads to Burra - is that correct ?

Thanks again for your reply - my missus is going to be very impressed, 'cos she'll think I've planned it all myself !

For anyone interested, I've managed to glean the following information from Marjorie at the Herrislea House Hotel :

'A hash house run/walk will be held on Thursday 27th July, under usual hash house 'rules'. Its very laid back and doesn't really matter whether you can run or not or even if you complete the course. Its laid out in the morning like a paper chase and there are clues all along the route to find the trail. Not only paper is used, but flour and chalk and toilet roll and so on. The trail is deliberately lost every now and then causing runners to fan out and find the clues, when the clue is found the finder will call 'on, on' and off the whole lot goes again. But there is room for a whole lot of cheating and no-one really cares.

There will be an entry fee - probably about £5.00 to cover the bus and a buffet and T shirts. There will be a buffet or BBQ depending on the weather afterwards. Family and friends are more than welcome. Everyone taking part gets a specially designed T-shirt.'

Beyond that, I have no more information. I can only guess at the reason for the bus ???. The trail is left in the morning; but sadly, Marjorie neglected to tell me where the event is to start and at what time ! (Erm ! , That's crucial, Marjorie) I guess that I'll just have to contact the Herrislea House Hotel when I actually get to Shetland. Surely, if the trail is left in paper & flour, it will only last for a few minutes ???

I'll probably have a go at doing the event, but only if I can find out when/where it will be held (I love these well organised events). Any more takers for the Herrislea Hash House Run/Walk ???

Only two days till I get to Shetland !!!

Regards to All

I'll probably have a go at doing the event, but only if I can find out when/where it will be held (I love these well organised events). Any more takers for the Herrislea Hash House Run/Walk ???

I'm planning on taking part, as long as it takes place in the evening, rather than while I'm at work...