How to prevent pain and ignore illnesses in the NHS

bresail

if only their work load was light. you had better not tell the misses that. these mess ups are really not good enough. if anything they cause bottle necks. the op should have been seen by the surgeon the first day. i cant excuse the delay. in the olg nhs i wait that long to be seen the stones had passed by the time i got to see them. i suppose its a way of avoiding costs.

Death is 'core business' of Scottish hospitals, university study finds

Almost one in three hospital patients in Scotland will die within a year, and nearly one in 10 will die during their time in hospital, a study has found.

The Glasgow University report says the findings suggest that part of the "core business" of hospitals is people who are nearing the end of their lives.

Professor David Clark Glasgow University

The research team studied 10,000 people who were in 25 Scottish hospitals on one day - 31 March, 2010.

In total 3,098 patients, almost 31%, died within 12 months.

The study found that 9% died during their admission.

Older patients were more likely to die, and men were more likely to die than women.

Just over half of all male patients over the age of 85 died within the year.

Lead author Professor David Clark said: "I think what this paper really shows us is that what we call 'acute' hospitals really have, as part of their core business, the care of people who are coming to the end of their lives.

"The key message for me is how, as organisations, hospitals start to think more widely about the implications of that."

The likelihood of dying in hospital has been rising, despite the fact that surveys suggest most people would like to die at home.

Well this seems very promising doesn't it?

Were the deaths age related, inability to diagnose the problem or by neglect?

I am sure that most of us realise that a lot of deaths are due to being old.

But, "The Hospital tolls the knell of parting day," ?

Thomas Gray missed that one!

Regards,

Rex.

of course deaths are common in hospital. i wonder how much real life some of these researchers have. you tend to get sick folks in hospital and they tend to die more often than fit healthy folks.

Older patients were more likely to die, and men were more likely to die than women.

wow that's a doctorates worth of research.

Just over half of all male patients over the age of 85 died within the year.

hes heading for a knighthood for this level of insight.

The study found that 9% died during their admission.

accident,heart attacks, strokes and other very near death admissions. also death in ambulances will be counted in that number. 

this study is old all health boards/trusts have been working preferred place of dying for a number of years. 

what i do agree with him is hospitals are not the place to die for most folks. however your always going to have a lot of folks die there sadly its part of their business. however looking at death as a failing is wrong its a part of life. the best thing we can do is acccept it and try to get the best one for each of us regardless of cost or staffing.

Edited by paulb

Latest update on my unfortunately long post.

As Dr Diggle said my appointment letter for  a review arrived Saturday the 22nd March.

It is for Tuesday the 1st April, can I expect to have some of the staff waiting for me, shouting April fool ?

Regards,

Rex.

Latest update on my unfortunately long post.

As Dr Diggle said my appointment letter for  a review arrived Saturday the 22nd March.

It is for Tuesday the 1st April, can I expect to have some of the staff waiting for me, shouting April fool ?

Regards,

Rex.

nt liking the word review. sunds like they are happy with the treatment they are not giving you. hope im wrong but go ready to fight for some action.

Paul,

I am still waiting for a sensible explanation of my ct scan.

All I got, from the doctor was a hurried, breathless explanation of stones in my kitchen which turned out to be stones in my, kidneys. This was followed by the statement that he had no responsibility to pursue my case further!

Then why are we told to contact the health centre for the results and why does a receptionist have the authority to answer my questions?

Where are the doctors?

Some are obviously not reading from their in trays?

A few years ago I went to the health centre to ask about the results from another scan, the receptionist read my file in front of me and couldn't make head nor tale of what it said. So I asked if I could see it and she said that I wasn't allowed to see it. I obviously demanded to see the office manager, who said that certain patients weren't allowed to read their own notes. Yet an untrained person could make this decision!

I wonder is this still the case today?

If this has happened to anyone else send me a pm I will promise secrecy.

I am going to ask permission to record any conversations with the NHS.

Regards,

Rex.

As far as im aware you have an absolute right to see your records. I can sort of see what the doctor was saying. apart from the symptom control and diet/ life style changes and possibly some meds he/she really does not have anything more to do with your treatment. i would be focusing on the consultants now. if you i would want to see whats in those files. but be prepared for a shock.

oh yes. You have a right to see your records. And they have the right (quite legally) to withhold any information from you that they deem is harmful for you to know! So basically, asking to see your records is just a farce. and don't tell me it doesn't happen.

it has to risk serious harm either physical or mental for them to refuse a request. even if they try that you can complain to the information commissioner. there is a charge to formally request your records. think its to cover the copying costs. AS im sure they do try it on. which would ge me even more keen to see them.