Memories of Shetland

I only went to Lerwick once a month or so for a big shop in the supermarkets with my folks. I remember the fort well. At the time it seemed so big, but looking at it now it is tiny lol. I used to love the fish and chip shop at the foot of the fort. I always asked my dad to stop by there on our way home to voe. Sometimes he would get us both a fish supper on condition of me not telling my mum. In those days the fish and chips were wrapped in newspapers. Is the golden coach Chinese restaurant still there?

Funny as a kid, parkers were big back then, and some could zip up pretty well. Used to go out in the blizzards in my Parker wearing carrier bags over the top my socks to keep them dry and wellies. Was pretty exhilarating for a child.

People say winter time in Shetland is depressing. But I loved it. I would always go out by myself in the dark evenings and on a clear night the stars were amazing. I would just wonder around or lie on my back in the snow and try to see as many stars as possible. Sometimes seeing the northern lights or wondering if we are alone in the universe.

Though thinking back as a teenager it could be pretty limiting if ur friends were in another village you could miss out. Anyway enough reminiscing.

I'm planning on coming to Shetland in a couple of years time to have a look around at all the old spots I used to go to mainly in voe and brae, some of the islands and beaches etc...

Really want to show my family where I grew up, I can't explain it but it is one of the few places I truly love thinking back to. I've lived in other great places all over the world too of course but I guess u only have one childhood.

Thanks for the link! Looks great, blue sky today your lucky.

Looks pretty deserted the cross and all. Would be great if that entire street was a pedestrian zone only. But maybe there aren't that many cars up there that go down there any more so perhaps not a big deal.

I'll check it out on Saturday to see if there is more life there :D

I saw the weather is 13 c or so up there so I'm guessing summertime has arrived -> temperature hitting double figures. I remember we would all cheer in our household when ever we hit double figures on the TV weather LOL