Compulsory Life Jackets for Fishermen

Frances144

I'm not one for commenting on here much but anyone who thinks that not wearing a lifejacket is the better side of the coin from wearing one when it all goes wrong is a damn fool , there is without doubt (and proven fact) a much higher chance of survival if you are unfortunate enough to go over the side whilst wearing one! Even if the worst is to happen at least the loved ones get some form of closure (not to mention avoiding the 7 years of no insurance payout that it takes without a body) from the much higher chance of recovery (whether alive or dead) , it's a no brainer from a safety point of view,I'm not for compulsory rules on wearing them but there is no doubt it's the sensible option. The fishing industry is pretty near the last marine trade (in this country at least) that doesn't have to wear them as a matter of course when working on deck though thankfully it's becoming a much more common occurence for them to do so, no more so than in the single handed small boat sector, hopefully it will become the norm in the near future (especially with the free provision of lifejackets for fishermen from the industry body, the SFF).

Edited by RFR937

Years ago I was on a Navy vessel participating in an exercise in the North, North sea. How true it was I don't know, but we were told that with the water temperature at that time of year, if you went overboard you'd got about 3 minutes before hypothermia set in and 10 minutes with a survival suit on. However your life jacket could help prevent you from drowning instantly by taking a big gasp, on hitting the cold water, due to hydro thermal shock. Suppose this is the same scenario as lifejackets on civil aviation flights-to locate the bodies once in the water.