Low Frequency Hum

BigMouth

Did anyone catch Bill Bailey on Radio 4 this morning (11:30) and the programme on low frequency hum?

I am one of the poor sods who this affects and it drives me to the brink at times. When I settle down at night at either my place or the girlfriend's place it is the worst. Laying there hearing the hum is akin to one of those ultrasonic car alarms going off. It feels as though my brain is rattling about in my head.

Does anyone else suffer this? Especially anyone outside Lerwick?

Did anyone catch Bill Bailey on Radio 4 this morning (11:30) and the programme on low frequency hum?

I am one of the poor sods who this affects and it drives me to the brink at times. When I settle down at night at either my place or the girlfriend's place it is the worst. Laying there hearing the hum is akin to one of those ultrasonic car alarms going off. It feels as though my brain is rattling about in my head.

Does anyone else suffer this? Especially anyone outside Lerwick?

Oh dear.......is it the Russian Radar or are you being zapped by the aliens that have surrounded Shetland.

I'm listening to the program just now BigMouth, very interesting. The science and psychology of sound is a fascinating subject.

I seem to recall hearing in my younger years that if human ear was slightly more sensitive then you could hear that atoms in the air colliding. It could be speculated that people with certain types of tinnitus may well be 'hearing the air'.

For your problem, i might suggest camping out in the country somewhere, away from the coast, particulary cliffs, as they produce infrasound commonly. It is an unusual experience to lay in 'the wilds' soemwhere and tune in to the 'nothing' sound that is there. It is nigh-on impossible to find any pure silence anywhere, but it would give you a wider perspective on your 'hum', with more 'audio experience' to draw on.

Oh yeah, keep clear of SVT too, it has a pronounced low frequency emission.