Blackwood Distillers

clanchief

About to write a piece for the Scotch Malt Whisky Society about Shetland and whisky...can't get answers to the following:

1 - did any shareholders/ 'angels' ever get their promised bottles of 'Muckle Flugga'? Did anyone taste it?

2 - is it true that the barrels stored in Unst for 'maturing' were initially empty? Then filled with water?

3 - Did anyone ever see water or botanicals being shipped south for the gin?

I got my whisky. Once they had gone bust, there was no more information, but Hughsons hold it. If you are an 'angel' and have not yetcollected your stash, take your paperwork to Hughsons and you can pick it up.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimIvens,

Thank you for the information about Hughsons. I am a U.S. resident who owns a share in an Angels bond with two friends. I hadn't heard anything since paying for shipment, duty & excise last October (2008). Does Hughsons have a web presence toward which you could direct me?

Thanks,

Keith Toepfer

Press release in November 2002 from Blackwood Distillery Ltd. on their Shetland Whisky website detailing their "Shetland Distillery" plans..

(Italics have been added for effect - spelling mistakes are as is)

Northern Star in Born

Blackwood Distiller Ltd. is pleased to announce one of the most important new distillery launches in the Whisky world in recent years. The last remaining region of Scotland without a distillery: the Shetland Islands, should have a newly built distillery built in Spring 2003. HM Customs & Excise approval was granted in September and final financing terms are being agreed for end of November. No commercial distillery has ever operated on any of Shetland’s 110 islands despite having the world’s most ideal conditions for the creation and maturation of premium malt whisky. This potential will be made real by the team of well-known whisky experts involved as well as new entrepreneurial blood to the industry. [...]

That 2002 press release stills rings true then :?

And it still does :roll:

Good luck with your quest.

If the Shetland-News site had legacy 'backlinks' you could have clicked on the link in this post however, they don't appear to keep their link structure :? ! ! ! and it appears the article I'm trying to show you has now dropped off the planet! Well peety aboot dat dan!! :roll:

The craic is .. in a round about way ... the actual whisky got stolen from ------- as this news story attempts to explain! Which was quite handy really ... seing as that was about the time people were seriously questioning when and where they were actually ever going to see it!!

Oh dat peerie cheekie scallys! ;)

[edit] Edited as I was quite plainly a rude fool when I typed that post. I was also very drunk - which is no excuse :oops:

Trout,

You are correct about the theft of the original Muckle Flugga bottling. However, within less than a year, they had sourced a replacement, because on 17th October 2008 the latter was already being held by London City Bond, who were awaiting details on shipment from Blackwood. That was very nearly one year ago. I know this because I phoned LCB from my home in the States at about 14:20 (BST) that day to arrange payment of the shipping/duty/excise by credit card, and spoke with LCB's representative for that shipment. He confirmed that the goods were in their bonded warehouse. And I located the LCB number independently of any information from Blackwood.

Regards,

Keith Toepfer

At this point, I would expect that it was the whisky separately sourced by Blackwood to replace the allegedly stolen whisky, and which at least one person on this thread (JimIvens) received. Of course, I could be wrong, but I will only know that if, and when, the whisky is obtained, presumably from Hughson Bros.

Regards,

Keith Toepfer

Pooks,

Interestingly, the next email in my Inbox after the one notifying me of your prior post was from London City Bond. I had emailed them yesterday asking for any information on the status of my (our) shipment. The person handling my request for info forwarded it to Ms. Whitfield with a request that she "advise Keith Toepfer regarding his shipment please."

So, we shall see what we shall see. Fortunately, I have a friend in London in the legal profession who will likely be able to advise me should everything "come a cropper" with respect to our 'bond.'

Pax et bonum,

Keith Toepfer

JimIvens,

I will endeavour to do so, always assuming that any progress is actually made. As of this morning (US Pacific Daylight Saving Time) I have yet to hear from either Hughson Bros. or Ms. Whitfield. It has been, and will probably continue to be, an interesting journey thus far.

Pax et bonum,

Keith Töpfer

If the Shetland-News site had legacy 'backlinks' you could have clicked on the link in this post however, they don't appear to keep their link structure :? ! ! ! and it appears the article I'm trying to show you has now dropped off the planet! Well peety aboot dat dan!! :roll:

The correct link is now:-

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/archives/2008/May/news_05_2008/Never%20has%20whisky%20been%20so%20sought%20after.htm

The Shetland News now has a very effective Search Engine, and you can easily find anything from the past - even if the links have changed - by going to:-

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/pages/search.htm

Hope this helps for the future.