PC CD-ROM problems

Seggie

Has anyone come across this problem before? My cd drawer all of a sudden started opening and closing all of its own accord today and continued to do so, so I shut down the pc and re-booted, the tray started opening and closing again, but the computer wouldn't re-boot! Any ideas what could cause this?

Sounds very much like a virus or someone has a trojan backdoor on your computer and is mucking about with it.

Whatever it is I would unplug it from the Net. Install anti-virus software and scan the entire hard disk . . .

I'm inclined to agree - drives do fail in weird ways sometimes but there are lots of idiots who will do this sort of thing to you. Trout's right, unplug and disinfect.

Quick check - boot on a "live Linux" CD if you've got one. If it's the hardware, it'll still do it.

... check for viruses first

... in case the prob is still there afterwards, then you might try this:

http://www.kgsoft.com/products/hicdeject/

It's a very robust tool which should enable you to open and to close your CD drawer within a windows environment via mouseclicks whenever you want.

If that fails, too, you should consider to exchance that device definitely ;-)

Aaaahhh! This brings back memories. The old opening and closing cd tray trick! :wink:

We used to do this in the hostel to folk (much to their confusion and despair). Without giving too much away, there's a physical 'thing' you can do to the mechanism of the CD tray that makes it repeatedly open and close for no apparent reason. It's easy done and it's easy fixed.

Of course, it could also be some other software nasty...