Shetland Coastguard

riskassessed

Just reading the piece on Shetland news about Alistair Carmichael campaigning for better pay for coastguards. As a boat user in Shetland I thankfully have not had to use their services other than the odd weather report or safety traffic but do know people who are extremely thankful that they are here. A pal o mine informs me that the assistants in the Operations room, who might be the ones responding to your distress call are paid less than a burger flipper at McDonalds. I for one think they do a marvellous job and would like to see them get a fair days pay for a fair days work. What do you think

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Coastguard/

Please support the Coastguard in our current dispute / industrial action - sign the petition here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Coastguard/

I don't believe you will ever find us willing to go on all-out strike, our current action is mostly limited to administrative work - completing statistics etc. and while this is having some effect, your support would still be much appreciated.

All we are asking for is fair pay, comparable to the other main emergency services, eg police, fire and ambulance.

I don't know the exact figure, but it is said that someone working at McD''s restaurant is paid more. A police constable starting pay is £21009 (or in the control room - around £16000), paramedic's pay starts at £18698, and a fire control operator (in 2004) £17818

Currently a new entry Coastguard (Watch Assistant) receives £11970 pa basic pay, the next grade up - entailing 2 years of study and 2 sets of written and practical exams - receives only £14467.

For this, we work four 12 hour shifts a week (2 days & 2 nights), maintain a high level of knowledge of navigation, safety, satellite and radio communications, weather, we plan and co-ordinate any search and rescue response, pollution/counter pollution response, salvage etc

thank you.

[mod]Merged 'Support the local coastguard' thread with this one[/mod]

• 2 weeks later...