Blackle

Jordan

Seems a bit silly. They claim to save loads of energy by displaying the page and results on a black page rather than a white one like google, thus saving energy because your monitor doesn't use so much energy. The argument doesn't seem to hold up with LCD's either. Your old CRT may well use more power to display white but an LCD is likely to have minimal difference. They would also need a server of some description to host the site, which in itself is running 24/7 and using energy.

They also appear to have Google ads at the top of each search which they will be earning revenue from.

Sounds like a money making scheme to me.

You're right, Pooks, it does seem to be a gimmick.

It wont save any power on LCD screens at all, since these are backlit just the same regardless of the contents... indeed, one could argue that it uses more energy to display black on such a screen since a current is required to polarise the cell... :?

Guest Anonymous

i read a whole mathematical thing about how google would save loads of power if it were black. obviously they read the same thign and decided to steal the idea.. even though all the ocmments pointed out that it was stupid

heres what i think the likn was : http://ecoiron.blogspot.com/2007/01/black-google-would-save-3000-megawatts.html

i did hear once form someone that white on black is generally easier on the eyes, but the only reason we traditionally use black on white is just because thats how paper and ink worked in the first place

maybe if chalk were used before dyes we'd have a black google :D

Guest Anonymous
i read a whole mathematical thing about how google would save loads of power if it were black. obviously they read the same thign and decided to steal the idea.. even though all the ocmments pointed out that it was stupid

heres what i think the likn was : http://ecoiron.blogspot.com/2007/01/black-google-would-save-3000-megawatts.html

i did hear once form someone that white on black is generally easier on the eyes, but the only reason we traditionally use black on white is just because thats how paper and ink worked in the first place

maybe if chalk were used before dyes we'd have a black google :D

actually i jut llooked at the link and like the third comment is a guy saying exactly that (about white on black vs black on white)