Best and Worst Local Band Ever?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bongshang are certainly contenders.

I know he's not a band, but pretty much any project involving Jamie Duncan is worth listening to.

Only heard Bongshang once and thought they were superb!.

Jamie plays guitar in Ten Tonne Dozer and drums with Duncan Philips's band Firebird.

Still can't decide who my "best" band would be, Solar Polar Bear,Ten Tonne Dozer and Biutmen River would have to be up there, I can hardly vote for my own band but I was a big fan before I joined so maybe..

Worst would have to go to the now defunct "Totally Confused", anybody ever see them?

Guest Anonymous

Difficult to say if there is a best and worst band. However, one of the best I've ever heard live is Rock Salt and Nails (don't tell PJ though!) on their best days, Pete Stack and Bongshang.

Guest Anonymous

well personally i think Cyanide were bitchin.

great showmanship or womenship...ladyship..hmm anyways i really enjoyed them, STM in shetland was good too but i dont know what to make of the new line up, we will have to wait and see what they can do in glasgow :P 8) :lol:

About time I stepped in with the truth......I am not qualified to answer the question because I have no yardstick to measure a lot of the bands mentioned so far simply because their music is, to me, noise. Note the "to me".

That said amongst others I like Bongshang, Red Vans, Pete Stack and the Rayburns, Hom Bru, Rock Salt and Nails, Drop the Box and the guy who recorded "Flat Caps and Turpentine".

Which of course leads me back to the best band theme. How many lovers of the latest band would perhaps write my list off as "old fogeys" music?.

Best gig is easier. The night I was sat up on the hill over Scalloway waiting for the fireworks and listening to the music from Fraser park. I think it was Bongshang. Must have been the carnival as I would not have been on the hill at new year and there would not have been a band in the park for the fire festival.

Oh please do! I kind of missed that era. Although I was at the comeback gig in Brae. I'm sure I remember a certain Mr Peterson had swopped a bass guitar for a trumpet!
Indeed I did. I've never actually played the bass with the Hammfatters, but I was a trumpet-tooter in the 'Brass section' briefly

One of the easiest gigs of my life! Think of James Browns "Sex Machine"

Intro goes - Toot toot toot toot toot toot - thats it till the very end, which goes toot toot toot toot toot.

In the middle bit, I probably pranced around like a moomin