Online civility

Davie P

A bit of a ramble here.

I was having a conversation with someone the other day who was drawing a link between between children bullying each other and how 'adults' behave on social media. One example they pointed out was a recent news story about Loganair on the Shetland TImes website. In the comments section someone had taken the photo of local staff and superimposed clowns faces, much to the amusement of many Facebook users. If a child had done that to a group of other children it would be considered bullying, but apparently it doesn't apply to adults and we merrily poke fun at people for doing their jobs. What kind of example is that for young folk?

Perhaps I'm getting old, but I have noticed a decline in the civility with people's comments on Facebook, particularly local news websites' comments sections - folk insulting folk, throwaway negative comments, general pleepsing about local services (which are amongst the best in the UK, if not the world). I've challenged a few folk about Facebook posts they've made when I've met them in real life and there seems to be a disassociation between their social media behaviour and their 'real life' behaviour. People seem to be emboldened to say whatever they feel like online without considering the impact on others'

A final point - I spoke to someone who works for a business that operates across Scotland and he tells me that the level of needless negativity they get on social media from Shetland is completely disproportionate compared to other areas.

(Sweeping comment alert) Ultimately, I've been wondering if Shetlanders are negative by nature, or are we maybe a little 'entitled'?

15 hours ago, Davie P said:

(Sweeping comment alert) Ultimately, I've been wondering if Shetlanders are negative by nature, or are we maybe a little 'entitled'?

I would say hidden behind a code name and online "negative by nature " usually yes. entitled..... only if you moderate them after they go far beyond the bar, then they turn American.  :wink:

Loganair superimposed clowns faces. Have not seen it so context is out, but I would hope it was more satire directed at the company bosses and the media spinners.

Much as I would like to blame technology there were keyboard warriors in the dial up bulletin boards of the 90's, but as you were physically dialled into someone’s computer it was heavily moderated, and the more wayward quickly booted off. Then of course those disgruntled types would set up their own servers and try and encourage the gruntled to come over, so leading to the digital ghettos that are the fore runners of 4chan's of this world.

I don’t think this is anything new, only the medium has changed, “anonymous of Tunbridge Wells” has always been there, we just have far fewer people moderating to deal with the more vocal. Things would be far nicer if we could go back to people just writing poison-pen letters that went straight into an editor’s recycling tray but at least the writer got it off their chest.

• 4 months later...

The challenges of online communication and moderation have evolved with technology, from dial-up bulletin boards to today's digital platforms. The longing for a simpler time of moderated discussions reflects the ongoing struggle with maintaining civility in online spaces. #OnlineCommunication #DigitalEvolution

Edited by admin
spam link hidden in text