Shetland Dialect

Njugle

Should dialect be preserved in our schools?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should dialect be preserved in our schools?

• I think regional dialects have no place in formal education
    • I think Shetland dialect should be part of formal education in schools

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Freyr Wrote:

In Norway history and the wide variety of dialects has created a situation where we have two standards for writing. Both of which have many allowed optional forms of the standard words. Dialects are spoken in schools, on TV, in parliament and so on. There is no official standard of speech.

Yea, yun wis een o da first things I noticed whin I cam ta bide upo da east side o da nort sea. Da mony wyes dat da sam wird can come oot, fae fok i da sam place, Hit's nearly waar dan Shetland.

Dat maks hit hard fir a puir sowel laek me ta laer.

Bit upo da guid side, I tink da Shetlan trows ir been here afore me, an tocht dem some Shetlan soondin wirds :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Deardron,

If you don't like the odd bit of Shetland dialect, then get to hell out of a Shetland forum.

I am a member of many forums and I would never suggest to anybody on any of those forums that anything so central to the culture of the forum or the members of that forum should be got rid of.

Your attitude is a bit like telling a christian forum not to pray.

I am disgusted.

And if you didn't understand this post, it's written in a language called "PISSEDOFFISH" which you most likely relegated to another sub forum years ago.

RANT!!!!

:evil:

Whoa there horsey! I think you've picked that up wrong. !! Plus you shouldn't be so rude to others!

Deardron is a language "expert" from what I can pick up. Also from his website (in his profile) http://icefoto.narod.ru/en/index.html you'll see he is a "linguist, dealing with comparative linguistics and diachronical phonology".

I personally think it's a great idea. An area where people can just speak to each other entirely in turdlin.

It's been thought about - by me anyroad - and I'd like to get little buttons above the text area where people can then click and get the varying ae and oo and u sounds easily into the text.

The big problem I see with it is that there would need to be some sort of place that people could then copy the correct terms and spelling etc. rather as the textual skitter that people play with individually themselves. That would then make it "proper" if you can call it that!!?!

Anyway.. something like the shetlanddictionary site would be ideal if it in my mind wasn't built on the wiki system but rather a proper dictionary styled site such as dictionary.com where a glossary could be pulled out and displayed at the side of the site here say?!

Auld Rasmie, I don't know what drugs you're on, I really didn't want to offend anyone and my post was quite neutral, nothing else was meant above what was written. And I'm certainly not against anybody using the dialect (which I seem to understand) in this particular thread. As you can see from my profile I don't live in UK, so I'm in no way in a position of taking part in linguistic battles between dialect supporters and Queen's English advocates ;) As a joke, I even wanted to try to write that post of mine in Shetlandish (would have been my first attempt ever :lol:), but then gave up to save time. So let's calm down, move on and forget all the bad ;)

Guest Anonymous

:oops: OK SORRY!!!! I tend to fly off the handle when I think someone is pulling the urine out of my dialect,,,

And Drugs?? deardron,, just flu remedies at the moment :lol: ,, Pity,, could have done with smoking some reestit mutton about now. :lol:

Actually deardron, I don't even live in the UK any longer so I'm in a bit of a language limbo just now,,, long story.. But,,again,, deardron,

SORRY for flying off the handle.

Re: The shetlanddictionary.com site, it should have been changed from a glossary to a page per word format months ago, which would have given much more details for each word,, Methinks its time Gary Johnson got a sharp reminder kick in the butt. :D. Perhaps if he ever gets it working properly there could be some sort of link to a dialect page here...

And Trout and Peeriebryan, sorry for my outburst,, out of character,, I normally reserve those rants for deserving causes like the SIC, but after 5 days of a Norwegian flu,,, well, :oops: :oops:

It's been thought about - by me anyroad - and I'd like to get little buttons above the text area where people can then click and get the varying ae and oo and u sounds easily into the text.

This could also be done as a software. I guess most of the words in the dialect are English but with different spelling, so words or their parts can be changed automatically to the one or other direction ;)

... just spotted "Williamson's Generator" on the BBC's North Isle blog website after being lead there by another Shetlink-thread:

http://www.ablab.org/shetland/index.html

It takes a bit to get used to navigation on the site ... but then you will find out - it's simply a masterpiece about Shetland of old in general and Shetland dialect in particular ... outstanding!

(broadband and flash essentially!)