Shetland Dialect

Njugle

Should dialect be preserved in our schools?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should dialect be preserved in our schools?

• I think regional dialects have no place in formal education
    • I think Shetland dialect should be part of formal education in schools

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auld rasmies quote

don't even live in the UK any longer so I'm in a bit of a language limbo just now,,, long story.. But,,again,

Kjær Auld RasmieArbeider De hvor som helst nå.

Hvor blir De nå.

Er der som hyggelig bay view. Er De komme til klassegjenforeningen stille ?

Prøver ikke fornærme vår brødre frå utenlands?

-apologies to all Normenn for this poor translation

Guest Anonymous

Kjær Auld RasmieArbeider De hvor som helst nå.

Hvor blir De nå.

Er der som hyggelig bay view. Er De komme til klassegjenforeningen stille ?

Prøver ikke fornærme vår brødre frå utenlands?

-apologies to all Normenn for this poor translation

Christ !!! Whaur did yun puir translation come fae????

Da last time ony een confused me as muckle wi language, wis a peerie lass fae da far east, dat gae me a slap roond da lug, fir missunderstaandin her.

An, no I dunna ken yet if hit'll be possible ta mak da class PU i July, bit du kens me, ony chance fir a booze up canna be missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going back to the Shetland dialect in schools — In primary seven at Bells Brae we were given two books two study along with some classroom activities. I remember one book being “Northern Lights†which if memory serves me right was a sort of compilation, and the other was “Footprints†by James. W. Irvine.

I think that Shetland culture/history should perhaps be an informal part of education, and not only limited to dialect. I don’t seem to remember these studies causing any problems with the set curriculum. It was more of a late afternoon excercise where you might otherwise have been carrying out activities outwith the curriculum.

Moving on, I would like to know if anyone else knows anything about the derivation of the Scottish/Shetland word “marackâ€.

I met a linguist out here in Lithuania who told me it was actually a Russian word for a type of dark or black soil.

Apparently, the Shetland and Scottish boats used to sail to the Baltic to trade herring. After unloading their herring, they would load up again with “marack†for ballast for the return journey. This soil, which was apparently very fertile would then be used on the crops at home.

Somewhere over time the meaning seems to have become a term for drunkeness, perhaps related to “black†as in “black-outâ€.

Du shoulda seen da slester (another favourite) at I wis athin dastreen. I wis S**te maracked!

Any thoughts on this one? I’d be interested to hear.

I found this definition on the Urban Dictionary website.

sh*t marack

An old 1950s (or earlier) North East Scottish word meaning drunk to the point of being nearly unconscious. A more modern word would be 'steaming.

Larry wis bad last night - sh*t marack.

I've definitely heard this term used in Shetland, usually "maracked" as opposed to "marack".

As for marackeled - I'm also familiar with this term but I think it would usually be used in the context, "I fell af o da byre roof an marackeled meesel".

Guest Anonymous

Sh*te Marack,

I mind hit weel.. been i dat state mair dan I want ta mind.. :oops:

An expression that most folk just don't want to remember purely because it was referring to a state they had been in themselves.. :lol:

I thought this was an expression widely used throughout Shetland, but I am sure its origins are more Scottish than Shetland. In fact I may be wrong but I think Billy Connely has been heard to use it..

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

Moving on, I would like to know if anyone else knows anything about the derivation of the Scottish/Shetland word “marackâ€.

I met a linguist out here in Lithuania who told me it was actually a Russian word for a type of dark or black soil.

Apparently, the Shetland and Scottish boats used to sail to the Baltic to trade herring. After unloading their herring, they would load up again with “marack†for ballast for the return journey. This soil, which was apparently very fertile would then be used on the crops at home.

Well, being a native Russian I don't know a word for any type of soil resembling to "marack". There's a word "moryak" which means "sailor". I've also found a word "mar" from south-eastern dialects of Russian which means "hill, (grave) mound" and originates from eastern Finno-Ugrian languages and that's all. Speaking of drunkeness it can be compared to the Russian word "mrak" which means "darkness" (cmp. Shet. mirker 'darkness'), probably to be understood like drunkeness in one's brain, but I find this etymology doubtful.

I think this word must be of Scandinavian/Scots roots. It's not present in the Scots dictionary but there are 2 related words as Crofter has mentioned: "mar" ('clay, mud, mire') and "marais" ('low-lying waterlogged ground, marshland; a marsh or bog'), looks like it can explain the first part of the word "marack". The second part "-ack" must be the Scots suffix "-ack/-ock" which gave Shetlandic "-ek" (piltek, sillek etc.). It probably had some diminutive meaning, otherwise it was typical for words of fishermen slang.

^ ÑпаÑибо!

I found this information on the Natonal cooperative soil survey (USA) website.

http://www2.ftw.nrcs.usda.gov/osd/dat/C/CAMPCREEK.html

GEOGRAPHICALLY ASSOCIATED SOILS: These are the Marack, Rastus, Skullgulch, and Wahstal soils. Marack soils are on adjacent lower terraces, have a calcic horizon and border on an aridic moisture regime.

It doesn't really help my cause. It seems Marack is a common place name particularly for boggy/mossy areas in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

It also appears as a surname in some parts of Eastern Europe and Germany.

It could be dialectal - Lithuania alone has four dialects - or it may simply be that I'm barking up the wrong tree!