Credit card cloning

Malcolm

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah one of my friends had her card skimmed in a 24hr shop in Glasgow a year or two ago. Apparently, the card information was gathered while handing over her card to go in the machine and her pin obtained through shop CCTV footage.

That's why I always make sure my hands entirely cover the terminal, even if there's no one directly watching. The same goes for bank machines - especially in the city. There are numerous machines dotted around where CCTV cameras look directly down onto the terminal. I just hope that the SIC have more sense than to position any of these proposed cameras beside the ATM machines. I've watched my family and friends (and indeed many others) putting their pin into the card readers without a second thought about who (or what) is watching them. The number of pins I've seen entered is unreal. Folk are certainly too trusting. If I was so inclined it would be very easy to get hold of these people's cards - without the need for cloning as we know where everyone lives in Shetland, and go on a nice little spending spree.

Admittedly, the chances of getting caught are significantly higher in Shetland because of the population size, but I'd rather not take the risk of all the hassle involved in having your account emptied...

Malcolm - was this in Shetland?

They shouldn't be able to zoom in on the keypad of the ATM. Some of these CCTV cameras are able to zoom in quite high definition. If they are next to an ATM they should be outwith the field of vision of the keypad. This could be done by positioning it directly over the ATM, as the screen and buttons are recessed.

I really do wonder about internet fraud safety... I do a lot of shopping and banking online. Anyone ever had their card details stolen through online shopping?

From the experiences I've heard about, the banks are usually pretty good with refunding any stolen money from fraud. Anyone had any different experiences?

I really do wonder about internet fraud safety... I do a lot of shopping and banking online. Anyone ever had their card details stolen through online shopping?

Yep, several years ago (around 1999). Back in the day when secure sites were relatively rare, i bought some ink cartridges from a jersey based online shop (won't name and shame, they dont like that) and since it was a secure server, thought it would be fine.

This was using an HBC Bank (Sky promotion) Visa Credit Card.

From the experiences I've heard about, the banks are usually pretty good with refunding any stolen money from fraud. Anyone had any different experiences?

I'm still paying it off :(

due to the effect it had on my credit rating, i cant get a mortgage or any other form of loan for anothe couple of years yet.

And yes, been through all the channels, including paying a small fortune to legal people and the courts and nothing can be done. My card, my problem.

However, since then i have used a seperate debit card account for online shopping, and use online banking to transfer money across when i want to buy something, and i've never had another problem in all that time.

*runs off to touch wood!*

I've always wondered where the logic lies in chip-and-pin being more secure than a signed counterfoil. Surely thats what makes it so easy for these crimes to take place?

I have a little trouble understanding your post; You say you bought some ink cartridges in 1999 and ended up with your card cloned, and now in 2008, 9 years later your saying that your credit file is still affected?

How extactly was your credit file affected?

also you say you dont understand the logic of chip and pin as apposed to a signature...do the benefits really need explaining?

(***Mod Edit - Excess quoting removed***)

That's awful - I thought credit cards were meant to have fraud protection that compensated you if you were hit with it?

The chip and pin thing - as far as I know - isn't any safer in terms of online fraud. I'd be interested to see the figures for levels of card skimming before and after the introduction of the chip and pin system - not sure how much difference there would be... For sure, nobody really paid much attention to signatures before but I wonder how many people actually used the stolen cards in person? You'd think they'd just use it over the internet or at cash points with no camera - but then again, a lot of these folk aren't exactly criminal masterminds...

I seem to remember reading an article around the time of chip and pin introduction. Apparently, banks didn't choose to go with the safest technology option available because it was more expensive than the chip and pin. I can't remember any further details but I think that was the rough story anyway.

I'm not too clued up on the whole fraud thing, but I know that it can be damn near impossible to get the credit agencies to make any amendments once it's down on paper - even if it was a mistake/crime etc. My mate's boyfriend ended up with a hideous credit rating after something went wrong with a direct debit. I can't remember the exact details, but he had paid the full total but the company continued to try and take payments. Of course the payments didn't go though and the first he knew about it was when he got refused for a mobile phone contract :shock:

It's funny you should mention having a separate account for online transactions, I was thinking about setting that up just last night. Might just do that now actually...

A friend of mine came across his own card number in a list whilst trawling around some of the more disreputable areas of the net, a few years ago. The card had been used online, so the information must have come from some dishonest person who had handled it. When the shock had worn off, he went straight down to the bank, got a new card and cancelled the old one.

It's hard to see how you can prevent "Card Not Present" frauds when the banks are so keen for us all to buy, buy, buy online and keep their business going. The situation isn't helped by the fact that they don't let you specify that "this account must NOT be allowed to go below zero" (I've tried, and that was with the ethical Co-Op bank) - at least that way you could keep a basically empty account and only put money in it when you were going to spend it online yourself.

Best solution (though not particularly cheap) is probably to get yourself something like a 3V card, where you buy spending power with real money over a local counter and use the (temporary) Visa number they send you for online purchases. I've not got myself one yet, but they look promising.

There are two simple ways to keep your money safer when shopping on-line or even in dubious restaurants. The first is to get a credit card with a low limit and the second is to get a "prepaid debit card". Lots of them available now and keying those words into a search engine will give lots of information but basically you have a card which you have to "load" with money before you can use it. Like the 3V voucher but more usable. Worth checking the various cards available as some are more suited to frequent use while others are good for occasional purchases. All will charge you something but that is the price you pay for peace of mind.

Prepaid debit cards are also good for people with a poor credit rating as they mean you can shop on-line even if you do not have a card from a regular bank.

I have a little trouble understanding your post; You say you bought some ink cartridges in 1999 and ended up with your card cloned, and now in 2008, 9 years later your saying that your credit file is still affected?

How extactly was your credit file affected?

The person(s) who aquired my details ran up thousands of pounds of debt (well over the limit of the card, but as we know, limits mean nothing other than as an excuse to levvy more chages)

I'm still paying those thousands off. My credit file was affected because i initially refused to pay. Only after much hassle and finding i didnt have a leg to stand on was i forced to admit defeat.

also you say you dont understand the logic of chip and pin as apposed to a signature...do the benefits really need explaining?

(***Mod Edit - Excess quoting removed***)

They certainly do. PIN numbers are easily obtained, and easily used.

It doesnt matter how many times you watch someone sign their name, it wont help you to withdraw money from an ATM!

Prepaid debit cards are also good for people with a poor credit rating as they mean you can shop on-line even if you do not have a card from a regular bank.

Just a wee note that it's worth asking your regular bank about these things also.

What they offer varies, but at the time i was setting up my "safe account" i went with the Bank of Scotland. Their Visa debit card cannot be overdrawn (and will not charge if you try - this is vital. It may not be *you* who is trying, so why should you pay?)

Be wary that some pre-paid cards have hidden charges just like the ordinary ones!

However, there is no question that protection from all kinds of fraud is much improved these days.

"UPDATE"

Well the bank and Credit card companies have both given me back the monies stolen and waived the overdrawn fees "Phew".

The Bank has suggested that I invest in a "Credit Awareness scheme" Costs £6 per month, for that they watch your credit scoring and report to you if there is any unusual activity that might be Fraudulent I will report more on this when I get the paperwork to look through).

As for those that committed the fraud, Well the police are now involved and as it was easy to trace where the card was cloned there WILL be arrests very soon :D

STAY ALERT FOLKS, THE THIEVING GITS ARE OUT THERE!