Switching Electricity Supplier - Can you?

Rasmie

Have you ever switched electricity suppliers?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever switched electricity suppliers?

• Yes, no problem
    • Yes, but not as I hoped
    • No, too difficult
    • No, can't be bothered

This maybe should be in the consumer thread, but I don't know if you get such full participation there!

I have tried to switch my electricity supply from Scottish Hydro.

But, because I am on their unique THTC tariff with 2 meters and 2 mpan numbers none of the other major players can take over my supply.

I have done price compariosns on U-Switch etc.. and get offered saving of £200-300 per year, but when it comes to the final act of switching, they say sorry can't manage to handle a 2 meter system?

Has anyone out there managed to switch?

(*** Mod - moved; participation in a section will be non-existent if people don't put things in it... ;) ***)

I tried it, and it seemed online that the prices were going to be better, but because the actual price I get is an old and very favourable tarriff they can't come close to matching it.

Have you tried phoning about it? I got much more info and advice from a person on the phone than online.

Yeah

I've phoned most of them, and the salesmen very keen, but when the supply guys came on they rejected it. Tried e-on, npower, bgas, scottish power. I actually switched to atlantic energy a few years ago, which was £30 a month cheaper, but hydro bought them and transferred my account back.

There was no problem transferring a THTC/two meter connection a bit back. So little problem in fact that Virgin managed to take mine from the Hydro across to themselves when they weren't supposed to. Things may well have changed by now though.

At that time, Virgin themselves admitted their service was only cheaper than the Hydro if you signed up for their complete "Energy" package, ie both electric and gas, and as we all know how sparse the local mains gas supply is, it was for that reason alone that I didn't want to proceed. I made that as clear as one could when a Shetlander with a heavy Shetland accent is talking to what appeared to be a wildly over-enthusiastic recent West Indian immigrant, but apparantly not clear enough as it was changed anyway. They had a devil of a job putting it back the way it was before though, I wasn't billed for electric for most of a year, which was fine, until I got billed for the lot at one time.

The whole exercise served one or two useful purposes though, all cold calling salespeople ever since get ignored, hung up on, or sworn at and hung up on, and I wouldn't engage in any sort of business with Virgin ever again, in whatever guise, after how they behaved during that.