Shetland architecture and conservation

peeriebryan

Thank god I wasn't drinking anything when I saw that piccy Pooks otherwise I think I would be looking for a new monitor ;)

Class stuff - think we could submit it to Grand Designs for a future project :lol:

Mousa could finally be a *real* home for the Rumshack Muto! 8O Think about it. Carrying the driftwood up from the shore to give it that authentic 'shack' look. Pink paint at the ready! :wink: Do you think the Rumshack Blues Band would mind being renamed the Rumshack Pinks Band? :?:

However...back on topic...for architecture, nothing beats a good old Shetland stone-built crofthouse. The folks made do with what they had, managed to build structures that have stood the test of time (and weather) over and over again. Look how many buildings have been severely damaged over the years due to high winds (a lot of places having far lower windspeeds than here) and yet the good old stone-built house keeps on standing.

What I could never understand though is that if the Burra Crofthouse (As Seen On TV) cost £250,000 quid to renovate....how the hell did the old miserly crofter manage to build it in the first place? Did he happen to have quarter of a million kicking about from his days out catching pilticks?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am surprised that there has been no mention of the TSB building or the seaward side of Mackays

Definitely those two on the worst list, I can only imagine the view from the upper decks of larger ships using the harbour, it must look like two alien spaceships are doing a very bad job of trying to blend in and hide on the Esplanade. Add Charlotte House to the worst list too, it's only saving grace is that it's positioning means it has few vantage points from which to fully take in it's true "beauty"....The outside surface is faux corrougated sheeting, with the tops of the corrougations roughly "bashed in". What is that all about. :roll:

• 1 month later...

At least the new wooden-clad houses look much nicer than the previous style of single-storey grey/brown harl with grey roofs and huge expanses of plain glass for windows. Just like a lot of little rabbit hutches (sorry, that sounds like Toytown in Brae!)

• 9 months later...

I wouldn't mind a good ol' discussion on this.

Something that has always annoyed me is the lack of 'modern' looking buildings in Lerwick Town Center, with McKays and TSB the only modern ones on the street. Dad said that this was because Lerwick TC is a conservation area, IE keeping the old buildings or some crap. Dad also said that is another reason people aren't a fan of the prospect of a new cinema. So I ask - can Shetland evolve to the next level with all these old timers who don't want modern buildings on our streets?

Shoot.

Strictly speaking Mckays (the new bit) is not on the Street but on the Esplanade along with the TSB........and do not forget the poo pumper on the pier.

As for conservation I think the Street consists of a mix of buildings of various ages but apart from the local history aspect where we can look at old pictures of the street I think we could well live without all the buildings with two exceptions. The Bank of Scotland is a superb building and also demonstrates how a modern bank can live in an old building. Think I would also want to save the little hairdressers at the Church Road end of the street because of the curved front. Maybe the cafe opposite but that's all I can think of.

Sorry JAS, I'm afraid you are mixing up two different pairs of shoes ... ;-)

Lerwick Town centre being designated as a conservation area would not mean "no development ... being kept on the state as an old fashioned outdoor museum out of order" as on the other hand "modern buildings" per se will not create a "living town centre".

Outside Shetland there are lots of medieval town centres absolutely refitted by conservation for the 21st century as are lots of modern town centres (or suburban village centres by far bigger than the whole of Lerwick) with fine modern buildings which are absolutely "dead".

:wink:

I think the modern conservation approach is a reaction to the abysmal town planning that went on in the 50s/60s (and indeed beyond).

As for "Modern looking" buildings, it's a difficult term to define. Afterall, one of the first buildings people see when arriving via ferry to shetland is the modern (and garish) ferry terminal. Then there's the mid-80s' architectural carbunkle that is the Shetland Hotel.

Here in edinburgh there are a plethora of modern corporate buildings that have had to soften their edges to get planning permission, and even those are little more that glass and steel monolithes with few token classical facades and a shelf life of around 30 years...

• 4 weeks later...

In response to the "eyesores in Shetland" thread, where a few buildings are getting a (deserved) slagging, I though I'd resurect ye olde "Shetland Architecture" thread (merged with the newer 'conservation area' thread)

Two Shetland recently built/ renovated buildings I think are deserving of praise

The new museum is a rather handsome building, but I have no idea how functional it will turn out to be. And then there's the flooding potential... www.shetland-museum.org.uk/project2/index.htm

http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/project2/images/new_museum03.jpg

....and the newly renovated Belmont House in Baltasound www.belmontunst.org.uk

http://www.belmontunst.org.uk/Images/From%20sea%20Feb07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
How about Picts Castle? perfectly designed for kiss, cuddle and torture!
:lol: I wonder if that was one of the Picts design criteria :wink:

Sorry to split hairs about 'Picts Castle' but, it's not a castle it is a broch and block house and it was built in the Iron Age well before people were classed as picts. Clickimin Broch is a better name. However, I'm sure it doesn't matter for kiss, cuddle and torture!

I think the Job centre is one of the worst buildings in the toon.

I think the Job centre is one of the worst buildings in the toon.

I cannot think of a single building in lerwick, less than 100 years old, which does not look dreadful. Part of the new museum is borderline, and some of the stuff at the North Ness is not too bad, but the standard in general is so poor that the esplanade toilets look good.