Freeze on council tax

MitzyMu

So our benevalent council in their generosity have decided to freeze the council tax this year. Don't think so, the goverment gave directives to all councils to freeze the amount at last years level, which was only nationally published last week !!!!!

Not so generous after all, and rents rising rising well over 3% guess where any shortfall in the local budget is going to come from ???????

I don't think local wages or my pension are going to match this.

well yours may not but some will.

Councillors to seek new chief executive with £97,000 salary

and then they have to spend 20000 on a consultant to tell them what the chief ex job is. if the soon to be former ex chief ex cant tell them what his job is then just maybe a trained monkey could do it.

http://www.dklevine.com/general/images/monkey1.gif

:) Thanks Paulb you've cheered my day no end. I have been saying this about the illustrious CE for years you've hit the nail on the head perhaps the convenor could benefit from some instruction too

It's a pity Audit Scotland were not listened to when they made their report. I love Shetland and feel part of the fittings after nearly 20 years, but some folk should remember we live in a gold fish bowl culture :wink:

So our benevalent council in their generosity have decided to freeze the council tax this year. Don't think so, the goverment gave directives to all councils to freeze the amount at last years level, which was only nationally published last week !!!!!

Not so generous after all, and rents rising rising well over 3% guess where any shortfall in the local budget is going to come from ???????

Mind MitzyMu Your water rates are still going up

whoops i messed up did i say 20000

SHETLAND Islands Council is likely to spend up to £40,000 on consultants, interview training and advertising to recruit a new chief executive

Councillors have now selected a recruitment panel to hunt for a replacement for Morgan Goodlad, who earlier this month announced his resignation as the council's top official from the end of May.

The selection panel will consist of council convener Sandy Cluness, vice convener Josie Simpson, infrastructure committee chairman Allan Wishart, his deputy Iris Hawkins, services committee chairman Gussie Angus and his deputy Betty Fullerton. The final appointment will be made by the full council

The chief executive post carries a £97,000 salary. Councillors hope to have a new CEO in place by 1 June.

so gold plated monkeys.

i would have thought that the personnel dept should have the required skills in interview technique. i wounder what the surname of these expert consultants will be. is it possible to have it written in the contract of the firm that they pay us for the unforeseen mess ups that ether they or there newly appointed chief will do. I think the experiment with a local being a chief ex has shown a few faults with the system. can we have a moral clause put in to the contract. in most of the UK there chief would have resigned a few years back.

wild idea how about an internal appointment and a pay freeze or cut. what about performance related pay that should save about 97000

Actually the government didn't give the SIC a 'directive' about freezing the council tax, they gave it a choice. Either freeze the tax and get an extra £256,000 of grant or raise the tax and lose the grant.

As the grant is about equivalent to a rise of 3% in council tax, it was a bit of a no-brainer.

Council house rents went up 3.72%. However rents are ring fenced into the Housing account which has to be entirely funded by them. So they can't be used to cover the budgets the council tax does and neither can the council tax be used for council housing.

I had heard that Hjaltland rents are evn higher and went up by more than the Councils this year.