Death Penelty or not

Shoulf Moussaoui be put to the death Penelty  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Shoulf Moussaoui be put to the death Penelty

• Of Course he killed hundreds of Americans
    • No it jist noo right
    • He should be given a medal for his engenous plan

I think his claims are pretty much a work of fantasy. His claim that Richard Reid (the shoe bomber) and himself were supposed to fly a plane into the White House is strange in itself considering the flight that crashed (well, was shot down, but thats for another thread) in Pennsylvania was heading for the White House (allegedly).

And considering that the 4 hijacked planes were taken by groups of 4 or 5, there surely would have been more than just Moussaoui and Reid taking part in this planned hijacking.

Would 9/11 have happened if it wasn't for the west’s total disregard for society in the middle-east through frenzied lust for oil? Who knows.

They guy obviously believes that he's acting under divine influence and it's not hard to see why. Many poor, uneducated young men can be easily persuaded that the US represents an Evil Empire, they simply have to look around.

Throw in a little fundamentalism and some archaic religious beliefs and hey presto! We’ve got ourselves a willing suicide bomber convinced that he's right and will get his reward in the afterlife.

As for the yanks, to them it's far easier just to write the guy off as "evil", without looking a little closer to home to figure out what made him and many, many others feel the same way.

In fact, if the US truly wanted to appear as some sort of moral, Christian knight in shinning armour, they would simply lock this guy up forever, but make a big deal about sparing his life.

Then they could make a statement along the lines of "Only God should be able to choose when to take a life, whilst only the evil such as Moussaoui are arrogant enough to choose for Him", or some other such religious nonsense, thus winning the hearts and minds of many 100s of religious people.

The only downside is that Mr Bush has personally signed the death warrants of hundreds of US criminals already, so it might not sound so good coming from him. Then again, what ever does?

Have to say no because I do not believe the death penalty is acceptable in the 21st century.

Ally's posting is spot on when it comes to the US attitude to the world although I think the word "uneducated" in para2 and perhaps the word "poor" as well are inappropriate. After all the london bombers or at least some of them had good educations and the 9-11 pilots managed to guide big complex aircraft to the twin towers. I have enough trouble holding a small cessna straight and level so at least one member of each group was a clever guy. Unless you prefer the FBI "fly by wire" scenario.

perhaps the word "poor" as well are inappropriate. After all the london bombers or at least some of them had good educations and the 9-11 pilots managed to guide big complex aircraft to the twin towers...

I see what you're saying JustMe, however it is widely documented that, among other reasons, poverty and the symptoms of poverty (lack of educational resources, need to look after the family etc) is one of the main reasons young men are easily led into the more extreme forms of Islam.

"One easily visualises how this works. A young Arab, part of an oversized family, competing for scarce jobs, unable to marry because he is poor, perhaps a migrant to a rapidly expanding city, feels like a man lost in a desert without signposts. One morning he picks up a copy of Sayyid Qutb from a newsstand, and is 'born-again' on the spot. This is what he needed: instant certainty, a framework in which to interpret the landscape before him, to resolve the problems and tensions of his life, and, even more deliciously, a way of feeling superior and in control. He joins a group, and, anxious to retain his newfound certainty, accepts the usual proposition that all the other groups are mistaken. "

http://www.islamfortoday.com/murad02.htm

Wont argue with that Ally. My own thoughts are that moderate Muslim leaders must start to preach that the extremists are wrong and at the same time the west and the USA in particular must start to understand that Muslims have feelings which need to be respected. That goes back a long way. Did we not refer to Arab type peoples as "rag heads" well within living memory.

Wont argue with that Ally. My own thoughts are that moderate Muslim leaders must start to preach that the extremists are wrong and at the same time the west and the USA in particular must start to understand that Muslims have feelings which need to be respected. That goes back a long way. Did we not refer to Arab type peoples as "rag heads" well within living memory.

Agreed - Until lately Muslim community leaders have been nowhere near vocal enough in their condemnation of atrocities such as the Ken Bigly decapitation, Bali bombings, 9/11 etc. I don’t believe for one minute that they in anyway condone such actions, but a little more media savvy could have gone a long way!

What happens when someone commits a terrible crime lik abusing and murdering bairns and is totally uncurable and then we hae tae pay taxes for 60 years to preserve dir miserable life in luxury in prison, while fok die on the streets in poverty.

Only if dir guilty beyond all doubt and beyond redemption, it doesna happen often, but it does happen.

We pay taxes to send good men to unecessary wars to die, while we keep the vilest criminals alive in comfort in prison.. doesna add up

What happens when someone commits a terrible crime lik abusing and murdering bairns and is totally uncurable and then we hae tae pay taxes for 60 years to preserve dir miserable life in luxury in prison, while fok die on the streets in poverty.

Only if dir guilty beyond all doubt and beyond redemption, it doesna happen often, but it does happen.

We pay taxes to send good men to unecessary wars to die, while we keep the vilest criminals alive in comfort in prison.. doesna add up

I agree with your point about soldiers, but I would argue that the cost of looking after prisoners for the rest of their life is really not that much, when you consider the danger to society they represent.

Besides which, this idea of comfy prisons is a daily mail generated

myth. Minimum security, open-wing prisons for petty criminals are worlds away from "the beast's wing" at Saughton Prison I suspect!

The problem I have is not necessarily that I care a damn about the life of some mass-murdering rapist. It's more to do with the fact that when the death sentence becomes a legal punishment then, based on past records, there will be a miscarriage of justice at some point.

Preventing the loss of one innocent man's life at the hands of the state, to me, is far more important than satisfying our need for revenge or saving us a few pence (each) a year.[/i]