Renewable Energy - The Saltire Prize Flop

greenheatman

I agree which is why you may be interested in my microgenerator, GreenHeaTree. It will supply, on Shetland around 1.5kWh of heat and power for up to 8 days without any wind.

Couldn't find any details online about this - google search only returned your post here. Is it tidal based or what?

No, it looks like a conifer tree from a distance but is is a vertical axis wind turbine that provides 240V and heat 24 hours a day at a combined rate of 1.5kW(CHP) from storage.

It will continue to do so for up to 8 days without any input from the wind.

I have not posted it on the web yet because I am too busy with other stuff.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the massive concrete weight that will need to anchor the wave/tidal equipment to the seabed. Argue that they won't be as big or bigger. Try telling us that your pet project or anything else won;t need it and i will show you a few million pound of scrap metal on the nearest beach.

What would the carbon footprint be if the concrete was made from recycled aggregate. The cement was locally sourced and the co2 off set by forestry plantations.

My wave energy invention uses deep ocean waves - has no fixed position and no electric subsea cables - so I do not need massive concrete weights on the the seabed

By any chance have you ever seen a true storm up here. you invention wound be scrap within months.

what about the massive concrete weight that will need to anchor the wave/tidal equipment to the seabed. Argue that they won't be as big or bigger. Try telling us that your pet project or anything else won;t need it and i will show you a few million pound of scrap metal on the nearest beach.

What would the carbon footprint be if the concrete was made from recycled aggregate. The cement was locally sourced and the co2 off set by forestry plantations.

My wave energy invention uses deep ocean waves - has no fixed position and no electric subsea cables - so I do not need massive concrete weights on the the seabed

By any chance have you ever seen a true storm up here. you invention wound be scrap within months.

Yes, I was involved with the 'clearance bathymetric survey' of Yell Sound before Sullom Voe was built. We spent more time waiting out storms in Ollaberry's Crofters' Arms than at sea.

You do not seem to grasp this at all - MY INVENTION DOES NOT SIT IN THE WATER IN THE SAME LOCATION. If the storm is too severe my fully crewed wave energy gathering SHIP heads for a safe haven to wait out the worst of the storm before going back out to sea to gather more wave energy.

Now do you comprehend?

You do not seem to grasp this at all - MY INVENTION DOES NOT SIT IN THE WATER IN THE SAME LOCATION. If the storm is too severe my fully crewed wave energy gathering SHIP heads for a safe haven to wait out the worst of the storm before going back out to sea to gather more wave energy.

Now do you comprehend?

We don't grasp it because you've never told us this. You've not put any details of your latest wondrous invention in the public domain. you've not even drawn a graph to demonstrate, In fact your latest plan to save the world seems to have spread no farther than your own head, but still you can't understand why we're not all in awe at your marvellous invention.

Show me a device of yours that is up and working and doing what you claim it can do and maybe I will comprehend what you are trying to tell me.

I think the words were up and running.

So you gadget is going to be on a boat. what size will this boat be? what crew level? What cost for crew and repair? What will the boat be powered by?

So each of your toys is going to require a number of crews and back up equipment in case of sinking etc.

Do you know why you spent so long in a pub when you were up here? have you pondered why Lerwick harbour is often full of fishing boats? Why Do you think the ferry does not run quite often? Why tankers hide on the east side of Shetland in bad weather?

What happens to our power supply when your boat has to run for cover. And when would that be in winter when we need the power. It gets a bit cold up here without heat.

Your boats are going to be carbon neutral are they. I think ship building may be a little bit heavier than a few tonnes of concrete.

It may be better to read all the 'in-betweeny-words' so you get to understand what you are reading. I do not think that speedreading is appropriate for technical stuff - There will be several of these bespoke vessels, powered by 'green steam', capturing and storing wave energy as heat. They shore side generating plant can operate for 10 days without any ships coming into offload their valuable cargo of heat using heat exchanging methods.

What you as a speed reader will get out of the above is something like "a bespoke vessel can operate for 10 days using heat' so it is little wonder that you ask a load of silly questions that are already been answered.

It may be better to read all the 'in-betweeny-words' so you get to understand what you are reading. I do not think that speedreading is appropriate for technical stuff - There will be several of these bespoke vessels, powered by 'green steam', capturing and storing wave energy as heat. They shore side generating plant can operate for 10 days without any ships coming into offload their valuable cargo of heat using heat exchanging methods.

What you as a speed reader will get out of the above is something like "a bespoke vessel can operate for 10 days using heat' so it is little wonder that you ask a load of silly questions that are already been answered.

Hold on there Greenheatman - now we're wrong for not reading properly? My your sales technique is amazing. Also, if I might add slagging off your potential biggest customer in your document is also not the smartest of moves either. For my part I find your idea intriguing, but can't being myself to overcome the obvious vitriol you display.

I'm still confused as to how this magical ship takes the energy from the wave. Fair enough it can be done but interested how it wil be done. More importantly this "heat" store sounds a tad optimistic.

I take exception to your tone - the energy is taken from the wave without using electricity using well proven techniques which you are probably very well aware of given your smart ass comments

i think you may want to tone it down a little pal.

your claiming 0 co2 for your system but the boats are not going to be 0 rated.

calculate the tonnage of co2 that mining, smelting, forging, building and operating it is going to produce.

now onto your landside building works what tonnage of co2 are your buildings going to produce in the concrete, the metal work. And not forgeting the peat disturbance.

Then we need to look at your Dock facilities. First your going to need to dredge a channel very bad impact on the marine enviroment, then there is the break waters millions of tonnes of rock needed that takes a lot of power to dig and supply. Onto the building of the docks what tonnage is that going to take.

Now you have your boat, dock and ground base your going to be running it with people these people will need to trave to service your boat and enegy exchage unit. So please tell us how your greener alternative to wind, tidal,wave power is less damaging than an un manned wind turbine.

So please tell us how your greener alternative to wind, tidal,wave power is less damaging than an un manned wind turbine.

Eh? My Gentec WaTS idea uses WAVE power.

Like I said - nobody reads these all important in-betweeny words and now it appears that don't read the key words like waves either!

Oh, and by they way where did I claim to be zero carbon. No system will be zero carbon ever.

I'm still confused as to how this magical ship takes the energy from the wave. Fair enough it can be done but interested how it wil be done. More importantly this "heat" store sounds a tad optimistic.

I take exception to your tone - the energy is taken from the wave without using electricity using well proven techniques which you are probably very well aware of given your smart ass comments

Yes there are several methods to do these things as you say. It would be nice to know which you plan to use to allow people beside yourself to understand better what your idea is.

I'm struggling to see how you're going to get the figures you're suggesting from technology I know of.

So please tell us how your greener alternative to wind, tidal,wave power is less damaging than an un manned wind turbine.

Eh? My Gentec WaTS idea uses WAVE power.

Like I said - nobody reads these all important in-betweeny words and now it appears that don't read the key words like waves either!

Oh, and by they way where did I claim to be zero carbon. No system will be zero carbon ever.

Andrew H Mackay why have none of your world beating inventions become fact. could it be that others are better than yours.

paulb wrote

Andrew H Mackay why have none of your world beating inventions become fact. could it be that others are better than yours.

Or could it be a conspiracy by oil and coal interests....perhaps nuclear as well....to prevent as many workable alternatives as possible from ever getting off the ground?.