Car Insurance

unlinkedstudent

sorry to disagree but the 5k is just a go away we think your going to cost us. even with the wife wiping out two cars in 4 years. with the first one costing them over 30k in costs she still managed to get comp for 4 hundred.

Apologies, I misread £5,000 for a car worth £500 when F had put £1,300.

Afraid wasn't using fringe companies.

I had quotes from Hastings (yep, small company) but even the likes of Directline added an additional £120 for legal protection. Aviva aka Norwich Union were the highest quote and they added on a whopper of an amount for legal protection.

I have ended up going with Churchill as I get breakdown cover, legal protection, courtesy car for 14 days and they have thrown in free business use for a year. I did ask if I would get a free nodding dog only to be advised they can be purchased for £14.99 upwards from their website ...

What I did, however, find was how much you can save by just seeing what insurance company underwrites who. This can end up shaving off the odd £20 here and there. I think it was Prudential who were underwritten by Churchill and Tesco's quote was actually with the Pru.

I didn't expect my insurance to be cheap given that I do not have any no claims bonus having been off the road for some years but must admit, my old neighbours in London are extremely jealous that what I'm paying for fully comp, they are paying for Third Party only (not even TPTF) when they have got 7 years plus no claims.

On the under 25s note, I remember a few years back when no insurance company would insure them in London and when I past my motorbike test, Norwich Union actually said they wouldn't insure under 28s.

Don't think because I type up insurance reports I'm totally on the side of Insurers (I do have other clients and type up a range of documents) but at least I get to type up the grim details. If they didn't go on statistics, how else would they work out premiums?

insurance brokers are not the cheapest way. the wifes uncle and family run one. they quoted us for an old post office mini bus they were a lot dearer than the online that we found. you really do need to shop around there are vast diffrences between companies. so there risk folks must have diffrent formula for calculating how dodgy your going to be.

insurance brokers are not the cheapest way. the wifes uncle and family run one. they quoted us for an old post office mini bus they were a lot dearer than the online that we found. you really do need to shop around there are vast diffrences between companies. so there risk folks must have diffrent formula for calculating how dodgy your going to be.

We had to use a broker for insuring our property here as none of the companies online or via the telephone would insure our property as it was going to be empty for the first week after settlement date, plus some minor works were to be done (decorating and changing a washer on a tap). Coversure Insurance Brokers managed to find a company (who we had previously telephoned after an online quote) who were prepared to insure the property. In addition, they were a massive £90 cheaper than the same Firm's online quotation!

So I thought I would use Coversure to try and find a quote for car insurance and they were more expensive.

I think it is swings and roundabouts - sometimes Brokers are cheaper, other times they are not.

Well I am now a happy bunny. Having been told by the meerkat bunch at 1 am that Norwich Union would be cheapest at about £770, I clicked through to Buy Now – which mysteriously, without asking any more questions, turned into £858. At that point I went to bed in disgust.

This morning – aren’t holidays wonderful? – I thought I would just go straight to Norwich Union / Aviva to see what they had to say for themselves. Their site asked different questions, I put in all four of us, including husband’s 3 points for speeding 3 years ago – added legal protection which was precisely the £25 I had been anticipating – total £602. That’s amazing – and with a ‘real’ insurance company too! Only hiccup is that so far the site is telling me there is a technical problem when I ask it to print out the documents– but it’s three weeks till it comes into force so if they won’t print in that time I can phone them up and ask for a paper copy.

Everyone will be different though. US is telling us about living in London where everything costs more and with a gap in driving history – I am on the mainland in Scotland, so there is really no comparison between these experiences and perhaps less relevance for folk in the Isles. And yes – Asda did quote £5000 to insure a car worth £500! Just have to grit teeth and be prepared to spend time on it.

Can I just say one thing - ...

(*** Mod - link to popular comparison website removed. Reason being, we're not here to advertise for them. If you've got some personal experiences to share, then fine, but simply linking to these places is not what Shetlink is here for. Thanks ;) ***)

I know it's a fine line and Frances got teased for telling us all about her farm eggs - within reach of which I would love to be!

But going back to the 'coming into someone's sitting room' analogy which was used by one of the mods a wee while ago, I don't think any of this helpful discussion could be classed as advertising - it's just friends and acquaintances sharing what has worked for them in the hope that it might be useful to others in similar circs.

I certainly very much appreciate Peat taking the time to share details which might have proved helpful. Ages ago I asked for help with a technical problem and people piled in with advice; submerged in work, I don't think I thanked them all properly and I'm sorry about that. One of the great things about Shetlink and Shetlinkers!

Thought you were banned?

If you bothered to read the rest of the thread instead of just piling in with both feet you might see why. And as I remarked to Peat, I find it heart-warming that both he and US -who pm'd me - and others, not just on this occasion - are prepared to take time to be helpful, just because they can.