Over 14's Gig in the North Star

Alan

The North Star will be holding an over 14's night this Friday where the entertainment will be provided by 3 of Shetland's top up-and-coming bands.

The bands playing are Juvenile Delinquents, The Rockies and Boy And The Bandage.

Because this event is open to under 18's there will be no bar, but there will be soft drinks available in the kiosk at the front door.

The gig starts at 8pm and admission is £5 at the door.

I dont understand non-alcohol gigs really, they never seem to work.

Great idea, try to kick the legs out from under it before it has a chance...thanks very much. The North Star is trying to do something for the youngsters....a little more encouragement wouldn't go amiss.

So what are you saying? No point in putting on gigs for young people?

The last alcohol free gig in the North Star had about 300 in...

I dont understand non-alcohol gigs really, they never seem to work.

Perhaps if there were more non-alcohol gigs those who are under 18, the legal drinking limit, would have more chance of learning to enjoy themselves without the crutch of sedation.

Besides, given our culture, i'd be surprised to say the least, if everybody attending was sober, 14 and up.

Good on the organisers. You don't need alcohol to have fun, it helps sometimes, but it should not be a requirement. :)

As Marvin mentioned, the last alcohol-free gig we held last December had almost 300 through the doors of the North Star and turned out to be one of the best gigs i have witnessed in the 14 years i have attended the North Star.

That particular night we had absolutely no trouble with people attending the gig in a drunken state, and there was a healthy turn-out of over 18's.

What was also notable about that night was that the venue was packed within 10 minutes of doors opening, and the floor was bouncing from the opening riffs of the first band onstage. Not many bands who play the North Star to drink-fuelled, Saturday night revellers enjoy that luxury!!

I really do think that holding these kind of gigs is the way forward for Shetland rock music and hopefully a way of removing the drink-culture from young islanders.

Guest Anonymous

Fantastic I say, i would have loved events like this when i was aged 14-18. Nothing better than being 14 years old on a Friday night/Saturday, pure excitement.

I guess its just the culture on which I was raised. Whenever there was an under 18's gig that we would go to it was awfully boring. I know that you don't need alcohol to have fun, but it was that lifestyle where alcohol=fun. Hell whenever I go down to see a 'big' band doon soof I never drink at all.

Needless to see, the bands that are playing are great. I saw both Boy and the bandages and Juvenile Delinquets last Saturday and Juvenile really impressed me (first time seeing them)

As Marvin mentioned, the last alcohol-free gig we held last December had almost 300 through the doors of the North Star and turned out to be one of the best gigs i have witnessed in the 14 years i have attended the North Star.

That particular night we had absolutely no trouble with people attending the gig in a drunken state, and there was a healthy turn-out of over 18's.

What was also notable about that night was that the venue was packed within 10 minutes of doors opening, and the floor was bouncing from the opening riffs of the first band onstage. Not many bands who play the North Star to drink-fuelled, Saturday night revellers enjoy that luxury!!

I really do think that holding these kind of gigs is the way forward for Shetland rock music and hopefully a way of removing the drink-culture from young islanders.

I agree with all Alan says here. The gig in December was a great success. I have also run similar ones throughout Shetland, including ones in Flints, that have also been a great success and never any bother - everyone into the bands for the sake of it and no lack of interest from punters in terms of appreciating original material either.

Which maybe goes some way to addressing JA's complaints in other threads on this site. Maybe we have to shift the entertainment emphasis from time to time and JA did alternatively seem to complain it was the general drinkers who were not interested in the music as such that was ruining it for the band(s) into the bargain. Cant really have it both ways.

We have preceeded many of these gigs with music workshops for the young bands which also helps fire them up a bit more for the gigs at night - so winners all round.

No disrespect to Jeff who was doing a great job music wise but more and more young folk simply seemed to be coming to those gigs in the hope of gaining access to the bar and quite often spoiling things for everyone else. Neither the halls or the police were going to let that continue indefinately so an alternative had to be found for young folk who genuinely still wanted a good night out and the chance to see local bands, hence this approach - and it worked almost from the outset.

We are also takning an over 14's approach for the Ocean Colour Scene gig in the North Star in May, with the blessing of the police, and the fact that anyone under the age of 18 wont be able to get alcohol does not seem to be putting them off coming.

Oh and another angle on this one - over and above the U18 rock gigs were are running we also do one night a month in the Lounge for young trad musicians to go in there and take part in their own session, guided along by some more expereinced musicians.

We've had over 40 in at one time so if anyone knows any young folkies, fiddle players whatever who want to take part in this kind of informal music session get them to get in touch with me at Shetland Arts on 694001.

davieG wrote

We are also takning an over 14's approach for the Ocean Colour Scene gig in the North Star in May, with the blessing of the police

Just when did we become a police state. Why should they have any say about what sort of gigs are held at any properly licenced venue other than making any observations they may have when licences are applied for or come up for renewal.

davieG wrote
We are also takning an over 14's approach for the Ocean Colour Scene gig in the North Star in May, with the blessing of the police

Just when did we become a police state. Why should they have any say about what sort of gigs are held at any properly licenced venue other than making any observations they may have when licences are applied for or come up for renewal.

In fairness they are not telling us anything in this regard. The North Star is usually over 18's only by their own choice and requirements when the bar is open, as it is on this occasion. So we believed it best to get the police and the North Star managements tacit OK if nothing else to bring U18's into the gig while alcohol is being served and satisfy them that certain precautions are being taken re the welfare of young folk and to fully comply with legal requirements. It also serves to cover the licensee as I am sure Alan will agree.

If we had not OK'd this with the police and they had come in to find U18's there (even without alcohol) they would have not doubt asked some questions of us all so we are just heading off those at the pass.

No police state conspiracy here - just trying to make sure that we can make more things happen sensibly for under 18's who might otherwise miss this kind of gig. And just trying to show that the local police are not ALL kill-joys as has also been suggested in this respect in the past, especially after the problems with the public halls etc.