Klub Revolution @ Baroc

anorthernsoul

After a near-decade long hiatus, Klub Revolution returns to the Lerwick club scene to promote regular music nights at Baroc Nightclub.

The first night starts on Friday 20th November with special guest, and one of Scotlands leading DJ's, Mallorca Lee, coming up to spin the tunes for the opening night.

Mallorca Lee was the frontman and MC in 2 of Scotland's leading live dance acts, Ultrasonic and Public Domain. He is now one of Scotland's best known DJ's, and has regular nights around the country, as well as residencies in London and Northern Ireland. His debut solo album, entitled MLXL, wil be out later this year.

Klub Revolution started as an alternative club night in 2000, operating out of the Shetland Country Music Club's former premises at North Road every Friday night.

The regular club nights came to an end in 2001, when the premises were sold to the group which opened the Somewhar Else nightclub and bar, however the Klub Revolution name kept going by promoting bands and DJ's from the mainland throughout Shetland.

The nights in the old Country Club proved a huge success and provided a platform for bands such as Suppository Business, Revolver and Junk Deluxe to make a name for themselves. It also embraced the thriving local DJ scene at the time.

Baroc has been dormant as a nightclub since earlier this year, when the Golden Coach moved in to operate their Chinese restaurant from the premises.

Regular club nights will begin again on Saturday nights in December, while the night on Friday 20th November will serve as a taster for things to come.

Doors will open at 11pm and the club will be open until 2am.

The layout has been changed so that the larger area downstairs will serve as the dancefloor, with DJ's performing there instead of the booth upstairs.

The former dancefloor upstairs will be used as a seated "chill-out" area with the music being piped in at a more moderate volume. There is also potential to beam pictures from downstairs onto big screens in this area or have a second DJ playing there.

New lights have been installed including state of the art scanners and lasers, with projections being used to add to the atmosphere of the club.

Tickets for Malloca Lee's gig at Klub Revolution on Friday 20th November are onsale now from Baroc/Golden Coach at the reduced price of only £5, otherwise admission will be £8 at the door.

We look forward to seeing as many folk there as possible!!

Klub Revolution. The Alternative.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great, good work guys! There has been a huge void since the North Star shut its doors, Posers just doesn't really cut it unless you're looking for a bog-standard night out with cheesey tunes.

Baroc was never a very popular venue amongst Shetland's clubbin' massive (!!) in its old guise, but the changes you've made to the set up sound good, looking forward to checking it out at Christmas when I'm back from Uni.

Guest metallica man

Is the lee bloke the only dj that will come up here?? Thats all we ever see in da paper!! Barcock isn't big enough to work as a club & going in there with it stinkin of a chinese greasy spoon with the chance of slippin on chicken thats not been cleaned up from the meals! Will this really make folk wanna go there?? How the owners can jusify charging £5/8 to get in & then charging £3 for a bottle of beer is silly!!

Is the lee bloke the only dj that will come up here?? Thats all we ever see in da paper!! Barcock isn't big enough to work as a club & going in there with it stinkin of a chinese greasy spoon with the chance of slippin on chicken thats not been cleaned up from the meals! Will this really make folk wanna go there?? How the owners can jusify charging £5/8 to get in & then charging £3 for a bottle of beer is silly!!

Thanks for the Comment Metallica man but.......

This is only the third time this year that Mallorca has played in Shetland so unless you only occasionally buy the Shetland Times then it's unlikely it's all you ever see in the paper.

Baroc has pretty much the same capacity as Posers and that seems to work quite successfully. I think it is quite a slur on the professionalism of the management and staff of Baroc to say that they don't clean up after food has stopped being served. As far as the smell goes - what would you prefer a club to smell off? Spilled beer, Oxters, Bad breath, Stale cigarette smoke? That's what most clubs on the mainland smell of.

The entry fee is charged by the promoters who are not part of the management of Baroc and this fee goes towards flights, fees, accomodation and expenses that goes hand in hand with bring artists up from south.

I can't really comment on the price of beer in Baroc but I know from recent experience that it is considerably more than £3 per bottle in Aberdeen and Edinburgh in nightclubs.

I know you are playing Devil's advocate here but why have a go at someone trying to do something positive?

well overall I think its a good idea, anything that brings more options back to Shetland has got to be a good thing. Since Baroc closed the pubs have been full to OVER capacity and quite frankly the 80/90s night EVERY saturday in posers has become worse than a bad joke, it is a shame that they dont have to make an effort to try and be more imaginative simply because there is nowhere else for people to go for a dance.

As for baroc re-opening in this way...the jury is out here until I've given it a try, it all sounds a bit complicated for the staff, what if they have a large party in the restaurant that take forever to finish their meals? I'm not sure how they'll manage to clean up and move tables in time for being a nightclub at 11pm but I'm just glad someones willing to try!

Good on them!

well said Shetlandlady.

I to am keen to see how they get around certain issues, but hope that they pull it off all the same and as you say Posers really has just become a joke and have told steven several times ( disclaimer for steven i know it not your fault ;) )

Guest metallica man

This is only the third time this year that Mallorca has played in Shetland so unless you only occasionally buy the Shetland Times then it's unlikely it's all you ever see in the paper.

Sorry Joesg, maybe I'm thinking of all the times i saw his name in the paper last year aswell, or am i thinking of Jason Cortez? Whatever can't the promoter find a variety of djs & not the same old same old!! Maybe some tech house, hardcore or drum & bass? I'm sure these type of djs could fill posers/baroc!?

Baroc has pretty much the same capacity as Posers and that seems to work quite successfully. I think it is quite a slur on the professionalism of the management and staff of Baroc to say that they don't clean up after food has stopped being served. As far as the smell goes - what would you prefer a club to smell off? Spilled beer, Oxters, Bad breath, Stale cigarette smoke? That's what most clubs on the mainland smell of.

I've been in a lot of clubs in east anglia & they've spent alot of money on trying to get a neutral smell since the smoking ban came in. I really can't see how there gonna get rid of the smells of a chinese restaurant. As for the smell in posers when you go to the football on a sunday its rank & once i was almost sick. How will they sort the smell out the next day in baroc for the diners??

What shetland really needs is appropriate premises for this type of thing, not a room in a hotel or a few hours in a restaurant thats all i'm saying.

I know we've got a multi million pound music venue being built but can anyone in shetland really see it being used by promoters for djs & the like at a decent price for them & the clubbers???

I know you are playing Devil's advocate here but why have a go at someone trying to do something positive?

Devils advocate?? I'm just making a point & being realistic...