The Whalsay Tunnel Project

Mattie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the council is serious in considering a fixed link to Whalsay at the same time as they are discussing a replacement ferry terminal. Not to do so would be irresponsible as a fixed link may offer considerable long term savings over the ferry service as well as allowing the Whalsay folk freedom to travel whenever they want to rather than being tied to the ferry service.

Presumably if the new mainland side ferry terminal was at Bonnidale, as has been mentioned, cutting the sailing distance to less than half the current one, then you could run a shuttle service of smaller ferries with smaller terminals and carparks at a cost far below a tunnel.......

My dad will probably kill me when he inevitably reads this, being that he is from Whalsay, but I'll say it anyway.

Shouldn't someone expect to pay more (IE for ferry fares, goods or whatever) because they are living on an island? If there are any changes which will cost the local taxpayer more, why should the majority foot the bill for the minority? Suppose someone from Lerwick never ever goes to Whalsay on the new ferries/in a tunnel - should they really have to pay for it?

has anybody asked the Whalsa folk if they want a tunnel? There seems to be more desire for a decent harbour which i think they should automatically get , especially as the fishermen have bloody well earned it and done the bulk of the homework on it. If it was a well managed country like our oil rich neighbours, there would be no question of the people having infrastructure, and giving them a say in what thier needs are

^ ^ ^

Because that is the way the world works. I have paid taxes towards education for half a century despite never having had children. I paid taxes for the NHS from the day it was formed until I was 65 and never needed hospitalisation. I pay road taxes which provide motorways for people on the mainland but have to make do with single track B-roads. I could go on all day.

I also have to obey the rules of a Labour government and the peculiarities of a Liberal MSP although I voted for none of them,neither did the majority of people. Put that in your wiki.

The majority who DID vote DID vote for Tavish:

http://shetlopedia.com/2007_Scottish_Parliament_Election_Results

66.7% - a two-thirds majority, which is not an easy thing to get. People who were too apathetic to vote can have little to complain aboot.

Because that is the way the world works

Maybe, but it doesn't have to. Should we take that approach with everything?

Don't get me wrong, I love Shetland and wouldn't want the govt to stop giving us money (cause I'm biased..) but you do have to ask these important questions.

Depends how you do the calculations - Edinburgh pays about 90% of ferry running costs for now, but wouldn't pay anything towards capital investments.........

Shetland News article says that they've looked at costs over 60 years, and ferries come out cheaper.....

Of course, how certain you are on what ferry fuel will cost in 2070......