Social difficulties and cultural adoption

trout

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I'm glad to see some posters picking up on the fact that there are good among all sections of society.

Admittedly, there has been a lot of Polish incomers finding their way into the Lerwick Court, which is a pity, but compare the number of Polish workers in Shetland with the 'local age group' most associated with similar crimes, and maybe there won't be such a big difference.

All the Pollish incomers to Shetland that I ever met were absolutely lovely people.

I now live in a community roughly the population of Lerwick, which can at any given time have up to 1000 Polish workers in the shipyards, and has 30 different nationalities normally resident. Yes the Polish, by sheer virtue of their numbers, appear in the local crime reports, and quite often for fighting after drinking, which I always assume has been started by the locals anyway, since that's the local specialty.

It's taken Shetland a long time to deal with accepting 'Soothmoothers, (Using that term just to emphasis my point), so I'd expect it will take Shetlanders a few decades to accept Eastern Europeans without starting blatantly racist topics like this one.

hows eastern europe moved out o europe? is the same race. Soothmoother is not even a derogatory name and folks have been landing up here for centuries , mostly good,some bad , usually the wrong uns close all doors on themselves n leave, where ever they came from. Surely if the afore mentioned nationalities do keep themselves very much to themselves then they will confer n decide whats going to work n what isn't ? (no often i do a u turn, maybe this time tho)

Guest Anonymous
hows eastern europe moved out o europe? is the same race. Soothmoother is not even a derogatory name and folks have been landing up here for centuries , mostly good,some bad , usually the wrong uns close all doors on themselves n leave, where ever they came from. Surely if the afore mentioned nationalities do keep themselves very much to themselves then they will confer n decide whats going to work n what isn't ? (no often i do a u turn, maybe this time tho)

The term "Eastern European", is, well at least in the way I used it, purely geographical, just the same as saying that Rasmie Eunson was 'fae da Wast Side'. :wink:

"blatently racist topics" is what i was referring to, is "in house race" as far as am aware, is not even "anti" anybody or anything, is somebody made an observation on court records, which may & may not be indicative of the underlying causes. Probably there is a lot of it started by locals and a lot not, lets no digress ower muckle

Guest Anonymous

If you want an example of a "blatantly racist post", here's one:

Surely if the afore mentioned nationalities do keep themselves very much to themselves then they will confer n decide whats going to work n what isn't ?

Isn't it racist to want incomers to keep themselves to themselves? I would have thought that any and every attempt should be made to integrate people into a society, and by that means integrate them into a better understanding of local laws and customs.

:?

I'm glad to see some posters picking up on the fact that there are good among all sections of society.

Admittedly, there has been a lot of Polish incomers finding their way into the Lerwick Court, which is a pity, but compare the number of Polish workers in Shetland with the 'local age group' most associated with similar crimes, and maybe there won't be such a big difference.

All the Pollish incomers to Shetland that I ever met were absolutely lovely people.

I now live in a community roughly the population of Lerwick, which can at any given time have up to 1000 Polish workers in the shipyards, and has 30 different nationalities normally resident. Yes the Polish, by sheer virtue of their numbers, appear in the local crime reports, and quite often for fighting after drinking, which I always assume has been started by the locals anyway, since that's the local specialty.

It's taken Shetland a long time to deal with accepting 'Soothmoothers, (Using that term just to emphasis my point), so I'd expect it will take Shetlanders a few decades to accept Eastern Europeans without starting blatantly racist topics like this one.

Local specialty??? What locals are you stating that start fights?

The Shetlink moderators seem to take a rather undemocratic and haphazard approach to censorship. (And yes, you will probably prove my point by again deleting a post I made)

You allow a whole thread like this one which is blatantly racist, but you don't allow a post which criticises Shetland (Shetland is an open prison). Shame on you!

Why not allow debate? That means allow people to say things that you alike as well as things that you don't like to hear or that you don't agree with.

That means allowing members to voice negative feelings about Shetland.

Guest Anonymous

Local specialty??? What locals are you stating that start fights?

Assuming you live in the same area of Norway as I do, you'll know who I mean. And to quote my partner, "Those who are born and bread in the Kommune".

>EDIT> Opps spelled "Bred" wrong, but I'll leave it, sinnce those who want to fight rather than ,,, anything else, haven't got a loaf in the first place. :lol:

The Shetlink moderators seem to take a rather undemocratic and haphazard approach to censorship. (And yes, you will probably prove my point by again deleting a post I made)

You allow a whole thread like this one which is blatantly racist, but you don't allow a post which criticises Shetland (Shetland is an open prison). Shame on you!

Why not allow debate? That means allow people to say things that you alike as well as things that you don't like to hear or that you don't agree with.

That means allowing members to voice negative feelings about Shetland.

Easy solution.......leave it ain't no prison. Theres a ferry every day and a few flights too.

Yes, all of us that criticise Shetland can leave. That doesn't change the fact that Shetland, by deleting threads and posts that criticise Shetland, is extremely undemocratic and demonstrates it is not representative for all those involved with Shetland or living here.

Navelgazing and self-congratulating while posting racist comments about incomers ? Is that all that's allowed?

I always thought Shetlink was an open and free place of debate. How wrong I was.

Guest Anonymous

I honestly thought that with the winter coming on, the Squirrels would be busy storing their nuts, instead of the nuts squirreling around in Shetlink for ways to cause trouble. :roll:

^^eh? no-one has deleted anything??!

Yes, all of us that criticise Shetland can leave. That doesn't change the fact that Shetland, by deleting threads and posts that criticise Shetland, is extremely undemocratic and demonstrates it is not representative for all those involved with Shetland or living here.

Navelgazing and self-congratulating while posting racist comments about incomers ? Is that all that's allowed?

I always thought Shetlink was an open and free place of debate. How wrong I was.

LOL... moderatory hat off .... what a plug you are!

I've pointed out a very similar thread to the one you created; created prior by me no less re: an anecdote about an island prison, which you can easily use to whinge about Shetland being a backwater with nothing to do and is in your opinion an open prison that you presumably can't get off?

If you don't like the way Shetlink is run goto "phpbb.com" the same software this place is run off and install it somewhere and knock yourself out! :?