Social difficulties and cultural adoption

trout

According to the report on Shetland news the Norwegian head butted a friend of the guy who's being fined and lost his job.

When will the Norwegian be back in Shetland for his trial for assault?

the sailor head butted the man and flew out of the door.

Duncan Ferguson ex- rangers got jail for headbutting a few years ago.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this thread you would think that there was only ever any trouble when Norskies were here. That there never were any assaults or drunkenness at other times. That every weekend when there were no Norwegians, Lerwick was a haven of peace and tranquility.

Go to almost any town or city in the UK on a Friday or Saturday night and it can be scary - throwing up, fighting, etc

When I've been for weekends in many European cities, Brits there have a terrible reputation for drinking & fighting. (Maybe that has to do with the cheap alcohol there of course)

^^ Though this thread has pinpointed Norwegian sailors due to the topic being raised from the Shetland Times article of an incident involving a Norwegian sailor - there is wider scope here:

However, what I'm pointing out - the same in any port town - is that quite often those 'visiting' believe they can get away with anything.

There's been more than a few incidents due to our own homegrown Scottie fishermen as Styles rightly points out and in reverse, as you too rightly point out, Brits abroad don't have the best of reputations - neither home nor abroad!

Kracowians (is that what they call themselves?) for instance have an absolute hatred of stag parties due to the drunken violence they've been subjected to. Quite right too.

May I say that in the heyday of my youth I've been thrown out of several Norwegian bars and clubs for being an obnoxious drunken sphincter - even got thrown out of the thule once! - which I consider an act of God. Can't blame cheap alcohol for the Norwegian incidents - more to do with a mania that grips some guys who've been couped up on a boat for weeks to hit the shore like it was the wild west. We're all sphincters when the frame of mind and circumstance dictates. X

• 2 months later...

I just read this on one o the shetland news sites: "Fish factory worker banned and fined for failing to stop car and refusing to be breathalysed"

Is there not an alarming of eastern Europians, Latvians, Polish etc going through da court in Lerwick just now? Is it a case that they dont understand the rules maybe?

(*** Mod - topic altered to better reflect the discussion at hand; was 'law breakers from afar' ***)

is it no the same as some of the brits you find in cyprys, spain, thailand and alike. Unable to stick to the rules at home so go some where where things are a little more relaxed (the police here don't all walk round with semiautomatics). On the plus side most of the eastern europeans aren't as work shy as the brits.

What a load of nonsense , they are often in the courts , they are not mixing and mingling .

That accusations can also be pointed quite truly to many home grown neaps . We have a minority in every age group of full blooded shetlanders who are unable to avoid regular appearances in the sheriff court for various reasons.

And as for not mingling , Shetland probably has quite a high level of reserved , shy people who prefer the quite life and nothing wrong we that either.